Sign in to follow this  
Tim Lonnee

Quench tank

I was doing the route and kinda thinking between calls about a quench tank. Then I saw an old toilet sitting and wondered if I could use an old toilet tank as a quench tank.Already has fasteners on it,a spot underneath for a drain if ya need it, a lid that fits pretty tight,and sure be a conversation piece in the shop.Who knows I could leave the bottom attached and have a place to sit as well. Long as no-one gets funny and uses the darn thing. What do ya think. .......... Tim

Edited by Tim Lonnee

The one drawback I can think of is: how would you heat the oil? Most quenchants need to be brought to 130-150 degrees F to work at their best.

Now, if you could come up with a "heated dumper", I'll bet you could find a market for it -- as a quench tank or a toilet!

.....aaaahhhhhhh niceandwarmmmmmm...... :D

:lol: Good point. Gotta clean the keys now. Drinking coffee and laughing is messy.Sounded like a good idea on paper......... Tim

sounds like a cool ideal....maybe you could like use the bowl and put a little burner or somethen to heat up that oil...thought it would be ineffecent it would sure give somone a jolt if they tried using it....

You could use a submersible heater to heat the oil. I'd be more worried about dropping something heavy into it by accident, cracking it, and having hot oil all over the place really quickly. :o

Sure would be funny though. Maybe make a metal liner for it?

-d

I think I am going to work on it, just for a laugh.The liner and heater sound like a good idea.Maybe use the bottom part for storage or something. Put a cushy seat on it and watch folks wonder why I have a gunny sitting in the middle of the workshop.Really get them going when they see me sitting on it reading the paper...... Tim

when I'm thinking lowtech...I heat up a couple RR spikes and stir them around in the quenchant to heat it up...you'd be surprised how quick it would heat...

bu, being porcelin, I'd be afraid of breakage as well...