How well do blades travel by mail?

LucDeschenes

I was thinking, If I do make some blades, theres some special people I have in mind that I would like to offer blades as gifts who live abit far to give in person.

Is there something you need to take care about when sending blades through mail? does the post office care?

I was thinking, If I do make some blades, theres some special people I have in mind that I would like to offer blades as gifts who live abit far to give in person.

Is there something you need to take care about when sending blades through mail? does the post office care?

As nobody know's were you live how do you expect an answer mate as all postal services are different

If you are in say Arabia you have no chance or Iraq but in the states i dont think they will carry them anymore you just have to ask at the local Post office mate for the particular Country you are in

cheers terry ;)

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

if it aint broke dont fix it

I ship stuff inside the US by postal service all the time. And have gotten blades shipped from Canada through the postal service as well. But, as was noted it is good to check locally... then go and make sure that the locals told you correctly. In any case, there is usually a shipping method of one sort or another available in most places be it post office, Fedex, UPS, or whatever... I expect in some places it may be harder than others, though...

At least here I don't have to spell out what I'm shipping, while it is inside the states. Only tell them if it is fragile, or dangerous, or liquid, and such...

Oh, and as an afterthought, being able to package stuff to be resilient in case somebody decides to jump up and down on your package is always a good thing.... heh, heh...

Luc i have shipped and recieved lots of knives in Canada just pack it up good so no one can get poked or cut and ship it by Canada post if it is going to the states mark it as cuttlery or tool and i have never had a problem.

Bob

i dont mean to hi-jack this thread but...i have a question as well about shipping knives...as my location shows im in Finland but will be going back to Canada in 3 or 4 months...what is the best way for me to get 10 or more knives home...i have been advised that putting them in my suit case is a BAD idea....anybody here had much experience shipping from abroad to Canada?

formerly youngbuck...i now have a name!

I know one maker who packed his knives in a brief case and took them to the "special handling" desk for the airline he was traveling on. Check them at that desk, they'll lock the case, and then you pick them up at the corresponding desk on the other end of your trip... or something like that. The key to it is a professional appearance. A bag full of loose knives is going to get -you- labeled for "special handling" :lol: Putting them in your checked baggage is a sure way to lose all of them.

Edited by Kristopher Skelton

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

Yep that was the mistake i made lost the first knife i made, a 200$ folder, and a camp knife not to mention the GPS unit... since then any thing that is worth more than i the amount of cash i have in my pocket that i cant toss in my carry on gets mailed. the carry on bit is risky to i had a set of of cat-5 cable crimper's that they took because they said they where not allowed, however they left a razor sharp pair of electricians scissors in the bag. humm whats more dangerous a tools that look like a fancy pair of pliers or a 6" long pair of razor sharp scissors( it is worth noting here that the crimper's where obviously more valuable).

The moral of this story the Travel Safety Agency is corrupt and partially incompetent in places right your congress man!!

Sorry for the rant i am still bitter about this hole deal.

~~DJ

PS: sorry for derailing this topic if i do.

Edited by DJPratt

Thanks for the info guys, helped a lot.

I was planning on sending one of my blades to New Zealand for a special friend who had her friend make a really awesome necklace out of a rare wood (estimated over 4000 years old!) for my birthday.

Since I know she's into to Japanese culture and I want to make a tanto , I want to make one for her birthday in june

• 1 month later...