Sign in to follow this  
Richard Furrer

Black Pearl neck knife

Hello All,

Just finished this little gem. It is a small knife and the first time I have used pearl. A few years ago I purchased some raw shells of white and black lip and have been waiting to use them on a knife.

This design is intended as an eligant neck knife for the ladies, who are often neglected in the knife market. It is the most "jewelry-like" knife I have made, but this may lead to a series of such work in the future. I very much like the play of colors in this piece.

The over all knife is 4" with a 2" blade .. small, but useful.

--- blade is heat blued checkerboard mosaic

--- handle is black lip pearl

--- 14K gold pins

Sheath to be discussed as to styling

Price $350

DSCN6983.jpg

DSCN6986_1.jpg

DSCN6980.jpg

Hello All,

Just finished this little gem. It is a small knife and the first time I have used pearl. A few years ago I purchased some raw shells of white and black lip and have been waiting to use them on a knife.

This design is intended as an eligant neck knife for the ladies, who are often neglected in the knife market. It is the most "jewelry-like" knife I have made, but this may lead to a series of such work in the future. I very much like the play of colors in this piece.

The over all knife is 4" with a 2" blade .. small, but useful.

--- blade is heat blued checkerboard mosaic

--- handle is black lip pearl

--- 14K gold pins

Sheath to be discussed as to styling

Price $350

Your BLACK PEARL realy turned out nice. How thich is the knife?

A neck sheath would realy display this awsome knife.

Your BLACK PEARL realy turned out nice. How thich is the knife?

A neck sheath would realy display this awsome knife.

Rich,

The blade is 180 thousands thick and 270 thou at the handle. The sheath will "lock" the blade in and hang pearl down like a pendant.

Ric

Oh, now that's just sweet! Very nice job on the pearl, and blade, and so on. :lol: The pattern in the blade seems to compiment that of the pearl really nicely.

Looks like it'll make a nice neckknife as well as look like a pendant when in its sheath. Very cool.

richard .

that is a real sweet looker....... nice job.......

and I agree...... we do ourselves a get disservise

by ignoring the ladies in our manly pursuits........ they are half the population and control what is socaily aceptable not to mention the pocket book.ha ha ha

good for you to recognize that

dick

WOW! Ric, That is astonishigly beautiful.

How dificult was the pearl to work and what do you use to cut and shape it?

WOW! Ric, That is astonishigly beautiful.

How dificult was the pearl to work and what do you use to cut and shape it?

I have ten of those raw shells and may never use them again...it is a brittle chippy, cantankerous material which begs to be thrown back into the sea. If it did not polish out with such an interesting combination of depth and color I think it would have never been used for anything but a serving dish for the tasty critter that lives within. ;)

In the old days the pearl was huge and large pieces could be harvested for handles. Now we have maybe two year old shells and they are wormy and thin.......not many redeeming qualities there anymore.

I used a band saw to rough it out and a 50 grit belt to make it fit the shape. From there to a 150 belt and then 400 grit with hand rubbing at 400, 600 and a buff to bring it to a polish.

Wear a mask!

Ric

I saw this little beauty at the Badger Knife Show in Janesville last weekend and was really taken by it. It is a gorgeous knife! The pearl and the blade go perfectly with each other, and the knife felt surprisingly comfortable when held.

Great job, Ric! I wish I had the money to take it off your hands... well, it, and a few other things that I saw on other tables at the show! *grin*

Beauty, man, pure and simple.

m