W2 and Koa wood

Here's one finished the other day wit a 9'' W2 blade. A bit different from my norm but I like it. What ya'll think?

Bear_07_1.jpg

Bear_07_2.jpg

Edited by Don Hanson

hey Don, would it be too much to ask to see what a blade like this looks like clayed up before heat treating.

Not too much but I have no photo. If I can remember, I'll photo the next one.

Don

As always a beautiful knife, and the hammon is right on que for you.

And you know what else you should post is your method for polishing your blades.

As I am sure many of us would like to know and possible see some picts of you progress, and how you get your hammon to pop out.

Walter also has fantastic hammons and he has a way of making them pop out. So any info you can lay upon us, would be appriciated.

Very cool knife Don it came out with a fantastic hamon! What type of finish did you use on the koa? Did you give it an acid treatmeant first.

Thanks Bob

a very nice one !......as usual :):):)

I should use it as a "chef knife" ....but is so beautiful that I should hesitate to work with ! :)

congrats !

Hey Don

the Koa and the hamon are a equal match and the shape flows too......... real nice package.......

thanks for showing ....... and I agree with

the other guys. show us more.......

if you can remember to take some shots in the heat of the moment so to speak....... but that is hard to stop and do photos when you are on a roll....... and you do roll.........and rock too....

dick

Wow, thanks guys!

Polish? I use the Ozark method :) 600 to 1000 grit, finished with scotch brite and 3M sanding sponge pads. I like a high polish but don't like the work.

Etch? 4 or 5, 1 minute etches in ferric, rubbing the black off in-between. I do each blade alittle different, just mess with it until I like the looks.

Koa comes from Hawaii and this is some I had stabilize. I finished it to around 1000 grit, waxed it and did a light buff.

Don Fogg has a photo of a blade with clay (on this site) that looks alot like the way I do it and this is where I got my info. I'll try to take some pics of the process on my next piece.

Wow, thanks guys!

Polish? I use the Ozark method :) 600 to 1000 grit, finished with scotch brite and 3M sanding sponge pads. I like a high polish but don't like the work.

Etch? 4 or 5, 1 minute etches in ferric, rubbing the black off in-between. I do each blade alittle different, just mess with it until I like the looks.

Koa comes from Hawaii and this is some I had stabilize. I finished it to around 1000 grit, waxed it and did a light buff.

Don Fogg has a photo of a blade with clay (on this site) that looks alot like the way I do it and this is where I got my info. I'll try to take some pics of the process on my next piece.

Don, Looks like one of your normal knives to me. Looks like an exceptional piece of koa!

Well, after all these years of practice, you finally went and made a decent looking knife.

Seriously, though -- as always, really beautiful work!