Hi Don,

I just got an email from Dick about this, and he was waiting to announce it fully until he had sign-up sheets/waivers ready... appears that the cat's out of the bag, though, eh?

Ought to be a good time! As soon as I get Dick's permission (assuming he doesn't post here on his own, of course) I'll provide further details!

Hi Paul,

Ya know, I was planning to put together a big extravagent announcement with lots of fanfare and... smileys and stuff, and you stole my thunder!

No, actually, I just haven't gotten all of my paperwork in order. But the New Northeast Hammer-in is official, and it promises to be a very fun event for bladesmiths, collectors and enthusiasts.

Some of the details:

The New Northeast Hammer-in, held in conjunction with The American Bladesmith Society, will be held this July 21 and 22 at my home and shop here in Essex, Vermont. This gathering of bladesmiths, collectors and enthusiasts will fill a summer weekend in New England with bladesmithing demonstrations, discussions, and camaraderie, and will feature some of the leading contemporary artists and craftsmen in the world of forged knives.

Among the demonstrators we will have:

Burt Foster, ABS Master Smith from Bristol, Virginia

Dan Farr, ABS Journeyman Smith from Rochester, New York

Joe Szilaski, ABS Master Smith from Wappingers Falls, New York

Chris Kravitt of Treestump Leather, sheathmaker and master leatherworker

Jim Cooper of SharpByCoop, professional knife photographer

and possibly one more well-known Master Smith from Montana (travel arrangements permitting).

Essex, Vermont is located just outside of Burlington, about 20 minutes from the airport and just over 10 minutes from the highway (I-89). Montreal, Quebec is a 90 minute drive, Boston about three hours, and New York City is a five or six hours by car. Burlington International Airport accepts daily direct flights from Boston, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Washington, DC.

Registration fees will be $89 per attendee, which includes all event functions as well as meals.

Attendance will be limited so email or call me today if you wish to reserve a spot.

My email address is dickwulf[at]yahoo[dot]com, and my cell pone number is (802) 318-0704. Be sure to provide your full name and contact information if you wish to be added to the list.

Some more information is available on my website at this address: http://www.dicksworkshop.com/hammerin.htm

I will post additional information as well as a registration form and an agenda as soon as they become available. Also, feel free to poke around the website to see the shop and some of the tools we'll have available for the demonstrators to use.

I look forward to seeing many of you there. Any questions, feel free to post them here or contact me directly. Since we're still finalizing the agenda, we'd also like to gather your input on demonstration topics that you'd like to see covered. One idea we've been kicking around is to build a knife from start to finish and raffle it off at the end of the weekend, but we're also very open to other ideas as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Derrick

Edited by Wulf

Oh man Derrick I'm sorry to be the one to let it out But I got wind of it at the canadian knifemakers guild show last weekend in Toronto and got so excited there was something that I didn't have to spend 12 hous in a car to get to . I am definitly going to put this on the calendar . I've met Burt at Bowies place in Knoxville and would really like to see Dan And Joe's work first hand and have the opertunity to pick there brain a little. Have Joe bring one of his hawks to drool over. Paul

www.savageknives.ca

savageknives@golden.net

Edited by Savage Knives

Aw, I was just busting your chops Paul. The unofficial word has been out for a little while now - I've just been a slacker about getting my paperwork in order.

Anyway, I hope you can make it. Should be a real good time. :)

I've just been a slacker

Slacker for sure, man... jeez! :D

Just because you need to work with no sleep because of baby is no excuse! The knifemaking community demands more! :wacko:

Can't wait for the shindig man... you know the deal, if you need something get in touch with me!

• 4 weeks later...

Derrick

This sounds great!!!!!! I'm in putney and can't pass this up being so close.......I only got one form when I tried to down load them........

there is no mention of price on it...... Do I send the $89 to you and who do I make out the check to?Hope I get to see you at the blade show too...... do you know your table # yet?

Dick

Derrick

This sounds great!!!!!! I'm in putney and can't pass this up being so close.......I only got one form when I tried to down load them........

there is no mention of price on it...... Do I send the $89 to you and who do I make out the check to?Hope I get to see you at the blade show too...... do you know your table # yet?

Dick

That's the only form you need. Details about where to send payment are on the main hammer-in page on my website.

As for the Blade show, I don't have a table assignment yet, but I'll be somewhere in the ABS tester section. Would be great to meet a fellow Vermonter down in Atlanta!

• 4 weeks later...

All right folks, we have a draft agenda in place. Something for everyone.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Friday, July 20

5:00 pm: Gates open. Set up camp and warm up the anvils.

Saturday, July 21

7:30 am: Coffee and donuts. Meet the presenters and attendees.

8:15 am: Official welcome and introductions.

8:30 am: Burt Foster: Forging an integral camp knife

9:45 am: Joe Szilaski: Basic Damascus

11:00 am: Dan Farr: Flat grinding and plunge cuts

12:30 pm: Lunch

1:30 pm: Burt Foster: Clay-coated heat treating

2:45 pm: Dan Farr: Design, construction, and fitting of guards

4:00 pm: Joe Szilaski: Forging axes and tomahawks

5:15 pm: Chris Kravitt: Making leather knife sheaths

6:30 pm: Dinner

8:00 pm: Campfire stories

9:00 am – 6:00pm Hands-on forging and instruction with Mace Vitale

Sunday, July 22

7:30 am: Coffee and donuts.

8:00 am: Burt Foster: Etching and polishing the differentially hardened blade

9:15 am: Dan Farr: Handle design and construction

10:30 am: Joe Szilaski: Steel carving and filework

11:45 am: Chris Kravitt: Basic leather tooling and carving

12:30 pm: Lunch

1:30 pm: Jim Cooper: Knife photography and marketing

3:00 pm: Show and tell, buy and sell, question and answer, meet and greet

5:00 pm: Gates close

9:00 am – 12:30pm Hands-on forging and instruction with Mace Vitale

• 4 weeks later...

hi everybody....can anybody go to a hammer in...or do you have to be a knifemaker....is it limited to a certain number of people.....is it kind of like a get together of knifemakers talking about stuff and demonstarting.....thanks for any info.....how do i find out about other hammer in in the northeast area.....thanks ryan

hi everybody....can anybody go to a hammer in...or do you have to be a knifemaker....is it limited to a certain number of people.....is it kind of like a get together of knifemakers talking about stuff and demonstarting.....thanks for any info.....how do i find out about other hammer in in the northeast area.....thanks ryan

Hi Ryan

Pretty much anyone can attend these functions. By the line-up of talented demonstrators at this one it is recommended viewing. Hope to see you there. Paul

www.savageknives.ca

savageknives@golden.net

I just want to give everyone a quick update -

We received a very good response at the Blade Show (very nice to meet some of you), and I'm receiving emails, phone calls, and completed registration forms daily.

Those of you that have expressed interest to me but have not yet sent the registration form and payment, please try to get that done in the next week or so. We're now in the process of finalizing details with the caterer so I'd like to firm up the headcount sooner rather than later.

Those of you that plan on going but have not contacted me yet, please know that there is still room left but space will be limited. The hammer-in is just over a month away so make your plans now.

Thanks again for everyone's interest. This promises to be a great event. :) Can't freakin wait!

Oh, P.S. - I just scored a nice little Soderfors anvil for our green-coal forgers as well as a 50# mechanical power-hammer that I hope to have installed and tuned up in time for the hammer-in. Also startting a new forge-build tonight. We should be in very good shape in the tool department!

• 2 weeks later...

Great news, everyone - I just heard from MS Christoph Deringer who will be coming to the hammer-in and will make himself available for consultation and instruction at the green coal forging station.

Those of you who know Christoph and his work recognize his amazing skills with a hammer. Now you'll get a chance to see him work.