Sign in to follow this  
SharpByCoop

'Sinistre' Dirk • Don Hanson III

Folks,

I am remiss in not posting in this forum for months. This project made me step back in. Hello again. :)

Don's work has always been top-tier. Don and I go a long ways back on photo projects (mostly for the dealers I do) and because of such he is my MOST photographed maker. I did not own a knife by Don, regrettably.

Over a year ago we talked about creating a project that had a period aspect or look to it. Many of you know I enjoy the Mediterranean bowies or dirks in my Hill Pearce collection. Don loves them also.

The 'look' is largely identified by the exclusion of a finger guard and a long, relatively slender blade. Sometimes it may include a Spanish Notch.

Here is Don's initial drawing for me which we started:

orig.jpg

I was already impressed as he started with EXACTLY the flavor and style I wished for. I did not want a damascus blade (too rich and largely out-of-period), but we felt that would work well on the bolster.

After a number of tweaks we discussed he finalized with this drawing to work off of:

standard.jpg

After a hiccup I created in discussing the length via email (Tip: Pick up the phone often. It can save troubles.... ;)) he had forged and ground the profile and started the layout. In-progress images were arriving daily..... :D

Let's cut to the chase. I'll talk more about it when you look it over. Take your time to look VERY closely at the 'simple curves'.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Specs:

OAL: 12½" - Blade 7½"

Bolster: Random pattern forged by maker

Scales: Antique elephant ivory (chosen for it's historical accuracy and simpler beauty)

Pins: 14K gold

Name: Sinistre (French styling in it's curves and appearance, and this is the French translation of 'Sinister' -- a fitting adjective.)

The blade has a bit of a dark patina to it--this has not been enhanced in my photo work. The characteristic DH3 hamon is there, but not overpowering.

You should notice that this is the first sweeping grind Don has done on a knife. He felt this one deserved the look.

Communication with Don is always a pleasure. He knew this would take some time and never overpromised on completion.

I am MOST pleased with this knife and the process of it's build. I share with you my Fototime album with even more build shots and drawings with captions to follow. Click here for more of this knife.

I know you will enjoy this. This was an 'out-the-box' project for Don and he was well up to the task! :D

Thanks for looking!

Coop

Coop & Don,

You both out did yourselves on this. Elegent and graceful are the only words I can find to define this work of art. Thanks for sharing it.

Wow that is one slick piece of work! Way to go guys and thanks Coop.

Bob

WOOOOW!!!!! Another outstanding piece of work. Just when you think it couldn't get any better-----

Peter

Thanks guys!

This was one of the most difficult knives I've ever made but a fun project and Coop is a pleasure to work with.

Thanks Coop!!!

Stunning... That is right up there at the top of the best I have ever seen. Great design and execution. Good Job!

Don, You never cease to amaze me with your work. The curves of this one are just awesome.

Coop, I know it goes without saying, but that's some nice shootin'!

-d

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the nice responses. As it should be, Don deserves the accolades.

I was smitten with the shapes on this from the beginning. I love how handle meets the bolster slimming down to a waist. Like a long dress on an elegant lady. The shape of the slender tapering bolster and the two opposing curves of the blade at the lower choil. The more I look the more I see.

I wish you all the same good fortune to find a style that pushes you and compliments you. I think Don found his. :D

Coop

oh .....Sirs ! :blink::blink::blink:

first, thanks for sharing the progress pictures and final photo's !!!

your project is a wonder !

one of the nicest Mediterranean Dirk I ever saw ...

inspiration, forms, matters and the making are coming about the perfection !

you both deserve the congratulations of all knives lovers !

thanks !!!

coop,

this is an incredible knife-

it has really lines like an elegant robe.

art and craftmanship in a perfect combination!

congrats to don and you

gerhard

Don & Coop

It's really nice to see two artist's combining their skills in such a positive way.........

Don that is just too sexy .............

Coop thanks for all your sharing ....... I never get the feeling I'm looking at a photogragh.......just seeing a beautful knife......... your "work" is invisible ......... a true tribute to your medium.......

thanks for posting this

dick

Coop thanks for all your sharing ....... I never get the feeling I'm looking at a photogragh.......just seeing a beautful knife......... your "work" is invisible ......... a true tribute to your medium.......

thanks for posting this

dick

Hi Dick,

I am most flattered to hear this. You 'get' it. When my images please me the most is when they look plausible and flow. I suspect you see this too, although it's hard to place your finger on why.

I took pains to display the two insets with similar angles. The eye and nature loves symmetry. :) In this case they are converging out beyond the butt handle end of the core image. Many times my folder photos do this beyond the tip of the knife going the other way.

I do not just slap the insets in. After years of doing this, there are times where I actually visualize the finished layout and work as I am shooting it. The proper lighting angles need to be correct.

As in most things, those that make it look 'easy' have learned through many, many trials.

Sorry, I diverted from the REAL superstar in this thread, but I enjoy this dialog.

Best,

Coop

WoW. Stunning, Beautiful yet Just plain Evil looking!

Shawn

Hi Don

I love your work and I realy like this knive.

I wish I could make knives like you. That one is Awesome !

Regards Murat

Edited by Murat Klein