Sign in to follow this  
Busta-P

building a gas forge?

Hey all this is my first post as a member of the bladesmith's forum, alhtough i am not currently a bladesmith i am accumulating the tools i think i will need to try and i am also enrolled in some local blacksmithing courses. The only thing i am having trouble with is a forge of any sort so i was wondering if anyone has built their own and can instruct me as to how i go about building one, and one more question is what do you guys think is the best assortment of tools a beginner bladesmith could have?

thanks in advance,

Matthew.

Hey all this is my first post as a member of the bladesmith's forum, alhtough i am not currently a bladesmith i am accumulating the tools i think i will need to try and i am also enrolled in some local blacksmithing courses. The only thing i am having trouble with is a forge of any sort so i was wondering if anyone has built their own and can instruct me as to how i go about building one, and one more question is what do you guys think is the best assortment of tools a beginner bladesmith could have?

thanks in advance,

Matthew.

Hi, you should go to the (beginners place), you will see it listed on the main board of this forum.

Good luck on you knife adventures, JD

Hi, you should go to the (beginners place), you will see it listed on the main board of this forum.

Good luck on you knife adventures, JD

thanks mate, much appreciated

cheers

Matthew

Gday Matthew.

If you need help with finding the Oz eqivalants for stuff or sourcing bits for your forge sing out.Where abouts are you?

Cheers Jas.

Welcome to the forum Matthew.

Bob

:ph34r: I've built probably five or six forges so far, not all of them worked out so well. Right now I have a charcoal forge built out of a bar-b-que grill, and a gas forge built out of a mail box. The charcoal forge has a length of black pipe in the bottom with 3/8" holes down the length of it in two staggerd lines. I used to have it attached to a double stroke hand pump but I just got an electric pump that was designed to inflate rafts to attach to it. The box is lined the a mixture of clay kitty litter, sand, and straw that was packed in wet. I had a little refractory cement left over from the gas forge that I lined the fire box with after the clay mix dried out. Haven't really had a chance to use it sense remodeling it because I've been finishing up knives that I had already started. Hope to burn some charcoal and forge some blades in the next week or two. Hopefully inlarging the holes in the teweyer and the new air supply will help it burn a bit hotter.

The gas forge uses a single venturi burner. The body of it is a large mail box lined with 3" of ceramic insulation covered with Mizzoue refractory cement. The sheet steel of box makes it a little hard to attach the black pipe nipple which holds the burner. With it getting warmer here in Virginia, I'm going to build a tube of refractory around the nipple on the inside of the forge. Hopefully it will hold the burner in a little better. I'm also going to reduce the inside diameter of the fire chamber and see if that makes it a little more effecient. If that doesn't work, I'll have to add a second burner. The fire chamber is 18" deep and that may be just a little much for a single burner to handle, though I have reached welding temperature at least towards the back of the forge.

I also built two mini-forges that run off a propane torch. One is a coffee can lined with ceramic insulation that is coated with a refractory. The second one is made of two insulating brick with large grooves cut down the middle lengthwise so that when the bricks a places together a tube is formes. It is open on both ends. You can eather use it as a pass-through forge or block off one end. On both a hole is bored through the side of the structure to stick the burning nozzle of the torch in. Try going to www.elliscustomknifeworks.com. He has pictures of home made gas forges that some of his customers sent in.

Doug Lester

If you're not making mistakes then you're not trying hard enough

I've built a few too...

heres the brick forge like doug was talking about....

side.jpg

carved2.jpg

str8.jpg

and a stainless steel stock pot forge lined with 2" kaowool and satanite, with a forced air burner....of 1/2" black steel pipe:

front.jpg

fire.jpg

Edited by hickstick

Doug your forge sounds a lot like mine.

Can see it in the Solstice Sisters thread at the top of Show and Tell.

If you stack firebricks around the top to make a chamber, you can really get the temp up. It's how I do my welding in it mainly. That way I don't have to bury it in the charcoal, I can just place it in chamber toss in a few pieces of charcoal and go, other day I left it running so it stays at temp and would just toss in 5-6 chunks of charcoal every time I placed the piece back inside. Was working quite well. Before I was waiting it to burn down to where it needed more and putting lots in which to me was kinda smothering the temp a bit. You'd have to wait for it all to heat back up and burn nicely. Small bits with each heat works good.

your forge soun

Doug ds a lot like mine.

Can see it in the Solstice Sisters thread at the top of Show and Tell.

If you stack firebricks around the top to make a chamber, you can really get the temp up. It's how I do my welding in it mainly. That way I don't have to bury it in the charcoal, I can just place it in chamber toss in a few pieces of charcoal and go, other day I left it running so it stays at temp and would just toss in 5-6 chunks of charcoal every time I placed the piece back inside. Was working quite well. Before I was waiting it to burn down to where it needed more and putting lots in which to me was kinda smothering the temp a bit. You'd have to wait for it all to heat back up and burn nicely. Small bits with each heat works good.

:ph34r: Thanks for the info. I went to the site and the forge looked great. I have something similar in mind. I've got a bunch of Inswool left over from my gas forge project and I'm thinking about arching that over the the fire. May coat the inside with some Satanite or Mizzoue to protect the ceramic fibers. Seems like I spend more time working out my ideas of forges than making knives.

Doug Lester

Could be a good idea. Might be good to make some metal frame that you can line with it then coat with the satanite.

Kind of like a little igloo you can lay on top!