Sign in to follow this  
hickstick

is this worthwhile, hydraulic press???

found this local on craigs list....not sure if it would be worth the effort/space since its only 12 ton and most seem to be recommending 20 ton min...

12 ton hydraulic press

looks like the guy could part with it cheap, and he's going to get back to me on the cycle rate....

would probably have to take the guided platen off and make up some dies....

what do you guys think?

Edited by hickstick

looks like it was for leather or book work (just guessing) but if its cheep enough and works 12 tones does a good deal more work than your hand and hammer would with a lot less efort but if its more than $400-450 and your handy you might as well build one your self if your not handy or just dont have the tools to build your own frame then you might consider paying more for it oh and definitly make nes guides and dies for it :)

You know what that would be awesome for? Making your own Micarta. You could lay up really big sheets of LOTS of layers and squash it nice and evenly.

Not sure how useful it would be for forging with the existing platens. I'd imagine that you wouldn't want to unevenly load is (like by having steel under one side and nothing under the other). I bet that would break those cast iron platens in a hurry.

-d

That thing would work great with the platen removed and some forging dies added. You could probably change out to a larger cylinder for more tonage later, if you need it.

Edited by Don Hanson

awesome guys...thanks for the info. the seller was supposed to get back to me today on cycle rate....I'm kinda hinging on that ATM...

one of the guys on primal fires mentioned that if the guided platens were removed you'd probably have to build some kind of support for the ram...

we'll see...I still don't know what he thinks is a reasonable offer anyway....

thanks again for checkin it out.

thanks for the help guys. guy wanted way too much for it, and it wouldda required too much work to convert to forging...

looks like I'll have to go for the treadle hammer build....(the hydraulic build kinda scares me...) :o