My steel-wrecking gear

Earlier today I was trying to describe the knife clamp I made for using the patented "Don Fogg Sanding Stick Method", and couldn't seem to properly elucidate myself.

Therefore, I set about taking a bunch of pictures of the stuff in my shop, and how I've modified things to work better (I hope!). Besides, it was through the postings of others that I managed to scavenge as many of these ideas as I have.

Hopefully, these will help someone else. all comments are welcome!

Matt's Shop Of Horrors

cool pics. makes me dream of the day i can scrounge up enough scratch to get a few more pay pretties for the shop.

Edited by Willie
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice Matt. Some good ideas for modifications, too. I like the dust collection system, I think I've seen it before, but forgot about it. I have that same chinese bandsaw. have had more luck using it as a vertical saw than a horizontal cut-off saw, never could get it to cut of a 90 degree cut, probably not adjusted right, but the manual is pretty sparse. I am going to have to beef up my table like yours to make it work even better.

Also I have GOT to find some $$$ and get a better (real) belt grinder.

Thanks for sharing.

Will S.

Edited by Will S.

Hi Matt ! Love your setup !

I am curious about your famous "Sanding Stick of Death" how do you hold the sanding

paper on it ? Is it an adhesive backed paper or ???

Thanks

Steven

Hi Matt ! Love your setup !

I am curious about your famous "Sanding Stick of Death" how do you hold the sanding

paper on it ? Is it an adhesive backed paper or ???

Thanks

Steven

Thanks Steve!

I just use 2" wide shop rolls and spray the back of it with a thin layer of 3M spray adhesive... works well! I've thought about trying Don's automotive PSA sheets, but I'll wait until what I've got is gone. Besides, it's not that much work to do... although, just like with belts, I have to force myself to change it often... just like they say, use the stuff like it's free!