• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Frankl

Drum Forge Question

3 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am heat treating longer blades in a Fogg drum forge and loving it. With a T-Rex burner, it holds temp +/- 5 degrees from 1600 down to tempering temps.

But I now have a blade considerably longer than the drum (about 122 cm). Now I have seen nice photos of Randall Graham "stroking," and video of Walter Sorrells doing the same, albeit in a longer forge. My question is this: I am going to have to do some stroking to heat the entire blade evenly. Can I keep the forge dialed to my austenitizing temp, or will I have to go hotter and just keep the blade moving faster?

Thanks,

John

Yeah, stroking works best with a short but intense fire, just gotta keep movin. I find it works best if you go up in stages, I take the blade to a nice sub-critical red and get it all nice and even there first, then add gas a bit at a time till the edge shows the flare, or just starts to become non-mag, then hold the fire there and wait to see if the rest of the blade comes up... if it doesn't I add just tiny amounts of gas till it does.