fish and chips

John Rigoni

Well, it's not really a knife topic, but I thought I would mention that starting in June I will be working for a blacksmith/metalworking shop in Carmarthenshire (Wales), England for about six months. Do any of you have tips for my travel or some inside information about the location? I'm having a hard time deciding on what knife/knives to bring since they are strict there. Anyone know what kind of food they cook over there?

Any info would help me out,

John

Awesome! I envy you, but I have little useful information for you but I know where you can get it. Try posting over on Brtitish Blades, and you'll probably get invitations to visit while you are there.

http://www.britishblades.com

Guy Thomas

wow that's cool John! how did you get hooked up with that job? Wales is a beautifull country. be prepaired to hear allot of Welsh (or Cymru) spoken, it's a beautifull language and very helthy especially in mid to north wales. If you get a chance, take a day trip up to Snowden and walk the Snowden Horseshoe with a friend, it is a spectacular walk around the peeks of several of the highest mountains in Wales that isn't too demanding but is truly awe inspiring, unless you'r afraid of hights ;)

Thanks, I sent an email to BABA the British smith group in England. The President then sent out my email to all the members. I forgot about the email entirely until one smith, Mr. Alan Rowe (DAR Design) contacted me for a job offer at his shop. I'm using BUNAC to get there on a six month work visa, hopefully if things work out I can apply and get accepted for a work/training permit that allows me to work in the country for two years. Trying to work over in Europe is really difficult because I am not a commonwealth citizen or a member of the European Union (I live in Houston). I will definitely look into Snowden while I am there, I like doing the backpacking/hiking thing.

I will be working for a blacksmith/metalworking shop in Carmarthenshire (Wales), England...

You really don't want to make such geographical/political errors once you're on this side of the pond, you could easily fall foul of the locals. Wales is in the UK or GB not England. England is a peninsula on the east of Wales. ;)

If you want a guide to the local hills or just want to call in while passing drop me a line.

Edited by Bob Geldart

If you cross the border and end up in london at any point let me know and you can drop by the forge .

camarthen is a beautiful part of wales and so is pembrook .You should have fun .

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

Right, mate. You'll be in the REAL King Arthur country. (Of course, the Cornish might have something to say about that!) :rolleyes:

You won't find much in the way of Tex/Mex food there, but that's a small trade-off for being in the land that gave us such worthies as Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins and Dylan Thomas!

Have fun.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

Does anyone know a relatively cheap means to get from london to wales? Should I go by bus or train? Should I call ahead of time or just buy the tickets when I get there?

Does anyone know a relatively cheap means to get from london to wales? Should I go by bus or train? Should I call ahead of time or just buy the tickets when I get there?

I'd go by train, but that is primarily because I think it is simply a more pleasent way to travel, and the price and time of transit are comparable. When I lived in Surrey, we took the train almost exclusively. But purchase ahead of time, if you can, to make things run smoother once you're there. It will just be once less thing to worry about.

Eat bangers. They're delicious, and can be found anywhere. Go sit in your local pub, drink a pint and listen to the locals while chomping on bangers (often served to be dipped in mustard, among other things, or with mashed potato). I missed them dearly (they're a comfort food to me) and was ecstatic when an Irish family opened up a pub near me that serves Excellent bangers and mash (I live in Wisconsin).

Congratulations! Enjoy yourself!

m

Ancora Imparo