Sign in to follow this  
Alan Longmire

Kriegsmesser progression pics

I haven't posted much of my stuff lately, so I figured I'd give folks a taste of what I've been up to so you don't think I'm just a poser! :ph34r:

As I may have mentioned a time or two, I've been working on a Kriegsmesser. This is a larger, two-handed version of the Germanic grossmesser, or großmesser. This family of swords are medium-to-large single-edged blades mounted like knives instead of swords, that is, they have slab handles on full tangs rather than a composite grip on a stick tang. Großmesser means "big knife," kriegsmesser means "war knife."

This one was going to begin life as a 16th century hunting sword, but it slowly evolved into its present state mostly because the customer kept asking me to make it as big as possible. :rolleyes: It's 42 inches long overall and weighs about 4.5 lbs. POB will be about 5 or 6 inches ahead of the guard.

The steel is 180 layers of 1075, 1084, and 15n20 in a raindrop or birdseye pattern. I made this billet at my friend Matt Walker's shop last fall, and didn't get around to hammering it into a blade until about two months ago. I left Matt's place with a 2 inch x32 inch x 3/8 inch bar. I like his hydraulic press and big forge, I never would have attempted this large a billet in my coal forge with my power hammer.

After several months lying around in my shop, here it is after about an hour of forging:

And after three hours:

Then came the cleanup. I used an angle grinder to knock the scale off, followed by a quick-and-dirty rough grind on the KMG, but quickly realized it would be really tough to keep it even that way. Therefore, I went to the time-honored way of cleaning it up with a sen and drawfiling. The dark line on the next two pictures is the scale on the blade bevels that has not been scraped/filed off yet. It showed me just how bad I was at forging in the bevels. :wacko:

After a couple weeks of drawfiling, stoning, and sanding, it's ready for heat-treatment now. I also forged the guard and pommel for it out of wrought iron. The guard will be an S-shaped thing, thus the asymmmetrical arms. The lower arm will serve almost like a knucklebow. I added a single side-ring to the guard, also of wrought. I have since discovered that forged rings are a right bugger to clean up! Anyway, I fitted the guard yesterday and started on the pommel. It will be a sort of birds-head shape, as were most of the originals. It is visible in the pictures as the big lump with the hole in it lying atop the blue vise.

Sorry for the pictures, but my shop is not a photo studio. I like it to look worked-in, not too clean. As if that would be a problem for my messy self! :lol:

Anyway, try to picture it with the blade etched to show a nice raindrop pattern, the guard bent into a graceful S-curve, and the guard and pommel deeply etched, polished, and blued. Oh, and osage orange handle slabs per customer request. I will post follow-ups as it goes along, but be patient. It took my six months to get this far! :o

We may do the HT at Harley's, y'all. If you're coming you can see it in person.

Alan, I counted 10 knife blades in that piece of steel. All this time I thought you were working on some hawks. I have yet to do anything that long. I have a huge fear of warping. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Alan that is one big ckunk of steel! I look forward to seeing it etched. Looking good! After seeing your bench my wife finaly thinks i might be normal.

Bob

Alan, that's an awesome sword. Good luck with the heat treatment. I wish I could be there, but I've got a wedding to attend instead. So we'll see a handle on it by Christmas, right? :P;) Looking good.

lovit ... nice Knife... ;);)

its got a sweet profile... ooooo and cool guard

nice

Greg

Thanks, guys! :) Oh, and BobO.... Bite me. :P:lol:

Ray, you should have seen the warps after forging! :blink: I may normalize this thing four or five times just to be sure.

It has a name, but I won't bestow it until it survives HT. ;)

Looks good Alan! You know it's big knife when you need two vises to secure it. Loking forward to seeing the finished project. Hopefully it won't go "licorice stick" on you during HT. :wacko:

Way cool Alan... I will stand back and watch. Ray might have a "huge fear of warping", I just have fear..... I would have to take Ritalin to get through a piece like that!

Looks good Alan! You know it's big knife when you need two vises to secure it. Loking forward to seeing the finished project. Hopefully it won't go "licorice stick" on you during HT. :wacko:

The two vise thing is a holdover from making flintlock longrifles, and it translates well to swordsmithing. For the record, I used your "stone file" EDM stone holder for the first time on this puppy, and it worked better than I expected. :)

Chuck: One word - nicotine. :lol: Chuck Patrick gave me some of his organic homegrown burley tobacco after the Bell knife class in January, and I only smoke it while working on this beast. I would also like to thank Flogging Molly and The Doors for their unflagging support of me while channeling a 16th century German swordsmith in a tobacco-induced zone of otherworldly bladesmithing. B)

So that's your secret?

Thanks, guys! :) Oh, and BobO.... Bite me. :P:lol:

Haha, I can't wait to see it done. I hope it's before I ship out for Basic Training. B)

So that's your secret?

Hah! You, sir, are also cordially invited to bite me. :P Ya gotta get to know me before you can even begin to understand my secrets. ;)

Ahhh, Nicotine... I have never looked that up.

Britannaca says:

It has a unique biphasic effect: Inhaled in short puffs it is a stimulant, but when inhaled slowly and deeply it can be a tranquilizer.

Or

Columbia University Press says:

A person who smokes inhales approximately 3 mg from one cigarette. This amount increases the heart rate, constricts the blood vessels, and acts on the central nervous system, imparting a feeling of alertness and well-being.

Well it explains why I use it. I just need some of Chuck's to make those whoop ass blades!

Nice blade Alan. If you take it to Harley's I will get to see it in person in a few weeks.

I can clearly see it: the quench in the middle of the night with Ric's smelter humming in the background to the tune of the guitars.

Hhmm, I dont know... it just doesnt look big enough to me... :D:P

Looking' good! Nice profile on that. I'd like to see the rig you guys come up with to austenize and temper :)

the words of Crocodile Dundee spring to mind....

"thats not a knife....THIS is a knife!"

Cool work Alan.... :)

Jesus, it'll be good to see you again at Harley's. We're gonna try to have a drum forge like Don's going by then since this is a sword-themed event. Do you play guitar?

Chuck, as usual they ignore us pipe-smokers. :rolleyes: We don't inhale, we just allow the smoke residue to absorb through the mouth membranes. I suspect if you inhaled some of Chuck P's burley you'd turn green and get the flat-spins! ;)

I couldn't play a musical instrument if my life depended on it but Walter does. I seem to recall two years ago there were some pickers and players around.

Alan,

That is freakin Awesome! My buddy Dan is going to wet himself when he sees it. He's been talking about making one for some time. Can't wait to see it up close.

This is really an awesome sword, Alan! I like that wide guard.

Great looking sword. :)

Thanks again, guys. :) Giuseppe, I can't wait to bend the guard. It looks good wide, but on the backswing it tends to lodge in the ear, and on the follow-through it tries to pierce the spleen! :blink:

Here's a few pics with the pommel rough-ground/filed and fitted on the tang:

Wow! Inspiring, thanks loads for posting progress pics.

-Geoff

Well, I haven't wet myself, but that SURE is a nice kriegsmesser/grossemesse. I'm actually working on a line of those for the Western martial Artists for practice use, but they'll be mostly langenmessers. There are original training material for the langenmessers,(lichtenauer and talhoffer come to mind) but nothing I've seen for the grossemessers. The german longsword manuals are geared towards straight double edged weapons, which this clearly is not !. I hope it's making it to Harleys..... I'd dearly love to see that beast !

Dan

Fear not, it'll make its public debut at Harley's. ;) We may even do the HT there, if the gods smile upon us!