Sign in to follow this  
Alan Longmire

Kriegsmesser progression pics

Alan, that is one bad mother :o:o:o Yeah I know "shut my mouth!"

Matt

p.s. it looks great!

Edited by matt venier

Very cool. I'll be looking forward to seeing it at Harley's. (I'll bring a guitar, too.)

Awesome blade Alan! I wish I were going to Harley's! Hmmm...I wonder if I could get that Thursday and Friday off?

Thanks yet again, guys! Matt, shut yo' mouth! :P

Walter, I look forward to meeting you, guitar or not. I used to try to play bagpipes, but nobody could tell if it was me or somebody torturing a rabid wombat.

Guy, You have my permission. Take those two days and come on up! :D If you can only get Friday, we'll still be around until Sunday around two-ish, maybe.

Gonna be out of town the next couple of days, so no more progress or pics. :(

So you will bend the guard. I thought that it was inspired to zweyhander guards that are really wide, and pretty similar. I can't wait to see it finished.

Chuck: One word - nicotine. :lol: Chuck Patrick gave me some of his organic homegrown burley tobacco after the Bell knife class in January, and I only smoke it while working on this beast. I would also like to thank Flogging Molly and The Doors for their unflagging support of me while channeling a 16th century German swordsmith in a tobacco-induced zone of otherworldly bladesmithing. B)

Whoa, wait a minute! Did I hear someone say "homegrown tobacco"? Where does a person get tobacco seeds? I've never been really sure but I figured tobacco growing was regulated or something. Always wanted to get my hands on some seed - for the fun of it. Is there a way to buy the seeds or do you just have to know someone?

Nice blade by the way :-) I'm sitting on a thirty six inch european style cut and thrust that mostly just needs to be heat treated while I build a tempering oven. I'm pretty sure I can keep it straight through the normalizing and quench but I don't have an oven big enough to temper it in.

Kyle J.

Lovely work as always Alan. Osage will be nice, but it's hard to picture something of yours without some curly maple on it somewhere. Wish I could make it to Harley's but it's not looking good for this year either.

Michael

Kyle, it's perfectly legal to grow tobacco, it's just a lot of work. Of course, it may be illegal in California, most other stuff is. :P Look online. Here in the southeastern US, you can buy the seed by the pound at any farmers' co-op in early spring. A pound is about 10,000 seeds, btw. :blink: The bureaucratic nonsense that ended two years ago was just a government-guaranteed acreage/price alotment for commercial growers. If it's just you, they never cared.

Michael, you NEED to be there! Tell your boss, wife, kids, etc. you have my permission. I'll even send you a note on letterhead, not that an archaeologist's note ever got anyone out of work or anything. :rolleyes: I'd have chosen oak for the grip scales, but this customer really likes osage for some reason.

Wow! That's nice! Sure wish I could make it to see that in person!

Thanks Alan! I see they are adding direct flights from up there to Orlando beginning in a couple of weeks, so I hope that will help me to make it up there next year. Surely you all can't learn everything about swords in one weekend, and will have to do them again next year, right ? :P

I imagine you might be heat treating that monster even as I type this. Take some good photos.

Michael

Well, we didn't do the HT on it this weekend, but that's okay. I was too busy stuffing my brain with useful info to go dig a trough forge, as the drum forge was not long enough to do the whole blade. I was just gonna stroke it through, but Don F. convinced me that would be a risky idea with the length of the blade on it. Too much possibility for the wet noodle effect. When Ric Furrer and Kevin Cashen backed him up on that opinion, I decided to listen. ;)

It's gonna take a few months to process all the info that got stuffed into my pointy little head. I'll post pics later, including one of the swept guard. I decided to go ahead and do the sweep before the hammerin so I wouldn't have to keep explaining what I was gonna do to it. :lol:

Kyle, I've grown tobacco, and can testify that it's a thankless task. The seeds make mustard seeds look large. Sometimes you can get them coated with clay, just to make handling easier. Then you have to baby the plants through their entire life cycle. To put it mildly, the commercial hybrids are labor-intensive.

You can grow 1/10 of an acre per family and it will grow in almost any state but the climate may not be right to cure it properly. One plant can produce over a million seeds. I still have seeds from when I grew it. The Mountain and Indian tobacco will even withstand a couple light frosts.

Argentinian when it blooms smells like Jasmine.

Here's the swept hilt.

I think the real reason it didn't get tempered is that Alam was too busy teaching good looking women how to play with steel.

Harleys52.jpg

For some reason I wasn't really focused on Alan.

Alan it was realy cool to get to meet you and play with the messer for a bit at Harley's. The weight wasn't nearly as bad as I expected from the size and I would love to see how it feels once you handle it. Thanks for bringing it down.

HEY! :angry: My wife may look at this stuff, you know! :blink::ph34r::o

She has nothing to fear, but still, I raise the one-finger salute in your direction, my dear sir! :lol: Good to meet you, and your stuff is even better in person than in the pictures. Although that big kerambit is just an evil thing. :ph34r:B)

It's a good thing I behave myself when reading the forums *grins*

A couple of pics taken by a friend yesterday just to bring the true scale of this thing across to those who didn't get to handle it at Harley's:

I am about 6 feet/1.9m tall. B)

Cazz'!!! If you are 1,9mt that sword is taller than me... Really impressive work, congratulations.

Cazz'!!! If you are 1,9mt that sword is taller than me... Really impressive work, congratulations.

I am a stupid American, I checked the math and I am only 1.8 m tall... :wacko: Oh well, what's 10cm between friends? And get your mind out of the gutter! :lol:

Alan, did you forge weld that guard up?

Yep! Welded a ring, then welded it to the crossguard. I'm devious that way. ;)