Sign in to follow this  
Alan Longmire

Kriegsmesser progression pics

I't huge and beautiful even if you are 1,8m tall. It's difficult with all these measurement conversions. Somewhere I wrote that I was 5'5" tall while I'm 173cm (I'm still unable to convert it in foots but it's about 10cm of error).

Will you do some tameshigiri with the kriegmesser?

Great looking sword Alen I wish I could have seen it. I will have to try and make one of them some day

Bill

great pictures Alan! Thats turning out really nice, It must have been fun to weld that guard up! :blink:

Thanks again, guys. :) Giuseppe, when it's done I'm sure I won't be able to resist hitting something with it. I just can't mess up the etch since it's a commissioned piece. Gotta test cut, though, right? ;)

Bill, having played with some of your swords I don't think you'll have a problem.

And finally, Jake: Oh, yeah. :wacko: I tried to do a butt weld of the ring onto the side of the guard at first, but the @#$@## thing wouldn't stick because of the bizarre way I had it wired together. Out of the fire, onto the horn ring-down, try to hammer on the opposite edge of the guard, looks like it stuck, take another heat and try to close the weld, POP! :angry: And then there was the one that looked like it stuck, but fell off when I was cutting the wires... :huh: Another set of skilled hands would have helped a good bit.

After three tries I got mad and drew a scarf off the side of the guard and the ring, and did a big honkin' lap weld. When it's etched you'll be able to see the inside of the ring at the guard is half ring, half guard. When the right way doesn't work, whatever works is right? :lol: I even thought about tacking it with the oxy-acetylene rig, but knowing it was gonna be etched AND that it's wrought iron, forge welding was the only way to go.

Great looking messer, about a foot longer than I thought it was, from the pictures. Nice to have a human around to give scale to things.

Since that guard is wrought iron, then it's no wonder that you had trouble welding it, as the grains in the guard and the ring would have been at right angles to each other. The stuff's like wood in that respect: when the grain's parallel, things glue up nicely.

Great work!

Actually, the grain is aligned. That's why I was so annoyed when it didn't stick. :huh: The problem was that this particular wagon tire is really clean wrought, hardly any slag stringers to make a big friendly gumbo of welding happiness. No doubt the guys who made it to begin with were very proud of how refined they got this iron, little suspecting that 100 years later some idiot would want the crappy dirty stuff. :lol: