Sign in to follow this  
Svet

Gorgeous 300 years old Damascus steel FOR SALE

Up for sale is a 250-300 years old barrel form a "shishane" - a Turkish musket.

It was hand forged by Bulgarian craftsmen for the Ottoman army (in those times Bulgarian gun and sword smiths were forced to work for the Turks).

It might be of interested to old weapon collectors OR to swordsmiths looking for authentic old Damascus steel to study or to make their blades out of.

The steel on this barrel is fantastic - it has a swirling pattern next to the base and then it continues into an even twisting figure. It is absolutely awesome.

The barrel has a very thick wall and weighs just under 2 kilograms.

Price of the barrel is 450 Euro.

I made a research and I assure you that it is a steal.

Complete Turkish muskets sell for $4500 - $5500, so i guess that a barrel would cost at least $1500.

I don't want this to turn into a thread that criticizes the use of genuine antique Damascus steel in the making of modern made blades.

I am not encouraging the destruction of this ancient barrel and its turning into a modern blade.

However, in case that the barrel remains unsold, I will use it for my swordsmithing projects anyway.

I am sorry, call me a vandal.

Have a look at the photos of the barrel below.

s5001497cj0.jpg

s5001491hr8.jpg

s5001492um2.jpg

s5001498fb2.jpg

s5001501qn9.jpg

s5001490xh7.jpg

s5001491mb3.jpg

Dang Svet, that is nice. Like, unheard of awesomeness. Very cool, wish WISH WISH I could afford it.

Yeah, it's really gorgeous.

I posted it on several other forums and let's see people's thoughts and comments.

PS:

Haha this is funny!

As I mentioned, I posted the barrel on several other blade-related forums and some really, really stupid fuck on www.bladeforums.com decided that my thread was spam and deleted it. :lol:

It is strange that people who are totally ignorant about history or blademaking can become moderators and have the power to remove people's posts.

Edited by Svet

I posted it on several other forums and let's see people's thoughts and comments.

PS:

Haha this is funny!

As I mentioned, I posted the barrel on several other blade-related forums and some really, really stupid fuck on www.bladeforums.com decided that my thread was spam and deleted it. :lol:

It is strange that people who are totally ignorant about history or blademaking can become moderators and have the power to remove people's posts.

HAHAHA, weird. I figure a thing like this would be MARVELOUSLY accepted at blade forums, but whatever, they're loss they'll have to come over here:D.

That's beautiful! How did you acquire it?

That's awesome. I have only seen 2 other damascus barrels before. The barrel it self is probably wrought iron with a damscus riggon wrapped around it and welded in place if you look carefully at pictures you can see the spiral. I wonder if the maker ran out of one pattern of strip and used another one. Causing the pattern to change.

The barrel is made of high and medium carbon steel.

I did some tests on another similar barrel that I got and it quenched super hard (a friend of mine tested it and it was 59-60 Rockwells), snapped pretty sharp too.

300 years ago, these guns were relatively popular here on Balkans - the Damascus pattern is controlled and is intentionally made like this. the variety effect is sought.

One can find random gun parts once in a while. I'm lucky that I found these barrels.

They costed me an arm and a leg, unfortunately, I will have to let them go because I no longer have time for bladesmithing (some of you may have noticed that I haven't posted on the baldesmithing boards for quite awhile).

Normally those guns will have gold inlays in the base part of the barrel an more intensive Damascus pattern over there (like mine).

Here is an example of a complete "Turkish musket" - they are selling it for $4500.

Scroll down a little and check the Turkish musket:

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesA...iental%20Rifles

And the pattern on its Damascus barrel is not even close to the complexity and beauty of mine. B)B)B)

I am trying to sell it as a musket barrel too.

If I fail at this, I will just make blades out of it. But that would be in the far future when i have time for this again.

It is not everyday that you can get genuine 300 years old Damascus to make your blades out of.

Edited by Svet

That is nice looking steel.Maybe you coud cut it into knife size pieces and sell it that way more people could afford it.

I thought of doing so, but then I will be unable to sell it as a gun barrel to anyone interested.

Plus I guess that people will start a fight on who is going to take the swirling part on the base. :)

Anyway, I hope that I could sell it as one whole piece - whoever buys it, thy will have an antique Damascus barrel that is pretty expensive too at a fraction of its real price.

I thought of doing so, but then I will be unable to sell it as a gun barrel to anyone interested.

Plus I guess that people will start a fight on who is going to take the swirling part on the base. :)

Anyway, I hope that I could sell it as one whole piece - whoever buys it, thy will have an antique Damascus barrel that is pretty expensive too at a fraction of its real price.

Yeah, have you thought of looking for a gun forum and trying to sell it there?

Yeah, have you thought of looking for a gun forum and trying to sell it there?

Yep, I have. :)

I don't want this to turn into a thread that criticizes the use of genuine antique Damascus steel in the making of modern made blades.

I am not encouraging the destruction of this ancient barrel and its turning into a modern blade.

However, in case that the barrel remains unsold, I will use it for my swordsmithing projects anyway.

I am sorry, call me a vandal.

Svet,

I'll trade you modern pattern-weld for the barrel. If you are going to make swords I can roll the material into a meter long piece.

I have billet sitting on the bench. It is about 60 mm long x 10mm wide x 5 mm thick of 800 layer 15n20/1095 one each side of 1070 core striaght down the middle. I ran this through the rolling mill so the center steel is straight down the middle.

Ric

Svet,

I'll trade you modern pattern-weld for the barrel. If you are going to make swords I can roll the material into a meter long piece.

I have billet sitting on the bench. It is about 60 mm long x 10mm wide x 5 mm thick of 800 layer 15n20/1095 one each side of 1070 core striaght down the middle. I ran this through the rolling mill so the center steel is straight down the middle.

Ric

Thanks for the offer Ric, but as I stated earlier, I am not doing any blade-related work in near future.

By my "swordmaking projects" I meant something quite distant from now. I'm kind of leaving the world of steel. Temporarily, of course.

Yet another thing: even if I had the spare time for my blade projects, I can't trade you a 300 years old, one meter long, 2 kilograms heavy, Antique Damascus barrel, totally hand worked by an ancient European craftsman, sporting a wild fantastic pattern for a 6 cm long piece of rolled steel with nickel welding rods or bandsaw Nickel alloyed steel in it.

If I needed one I'd go to Home Depot to buy the rods and then make some "modern damascus" chunks in my backyard. Don't have the time and the will to do so when I have the real thing. Heck, I don't even have time for the real thing itself.

Hope you understand.

Edited by Svet

Thanks for the offer Ric, but as I stated earlier, I am not doing any blade-related work in near future.

By my "swordmaking projects" I meant something quite distant from now. I'm kind of leaving the world of steel. Temporarily, of course.

Yet another thing: even if I had the spare time for my blade projects, I can't trade you a 300 years old, one meter long, 2 kilograms heavy, Antique Damascus barrel, totally hand worked by an ancient European craftsman, sporting a wild fantastic pattern for a 6 cm long piece of rolled steel with nickel welding rods or bandsaw Nickel alloyed steel in it.

If I needed one I'd go to Home Depot to buy the rods and then make some "modern damascus" chunks in my backyard. Don't have the time and the will to do so when I have the real thing. Heck, I don't even have time for the real thing itself.

Hope you understand.

OOPS, the above 60mm should be 60 cm

its 24 by 4 inches....enough for several swords.

I do understand about trading and I hope you are not away from metal for too long.

However, as to the "real thing", well that I do take a bit of issue with that as I do, in fact, make the "real thing". What I can not make is "the old thing".

If you wish I'll weld up a replica of the barrel you have there, from ore to finished piece complete with rust...it will not be old, but it will look the same.

Ric

Edited by Richard Furrer

I am just not interested in trading steel at this stage. I am actually selling the steel I have.

As for the barrel replica: I don't need one too.

Told ya - I have a real thing and I am actually trying to let it go. Why would I need a replica? :blink:

As the saying hath it...I'm gob smacked!

This is my first chance to respond to your post, Svet. I've spent this time analyzing the pattern-weld on that piece. That's an amazing job that some anonymous Bulgarian did a few centuries ago, isn't it? Rather takes the old breath away. I have to agree with you, Svetlovar: it would almost be a crime to use that for anything but its own beautiful self. Surely some deserving museum would like to purchase it. In all my years of museum-prowling, I can't recall EVER seeing anything like that.

Hey Charles, I know that there are several museum guys around here and I hope that they will see this thread.

I think that Mr. Antonio "Cejunior" Conceicao Jr. is one of those museum and history people posting here but I feel really uncomfortable contacting him and offering him this historic barrel for sale.

I don't want it to be destroyed and turned into a bunch of blades, but I must admit that I bought the barrels (they are two actually, the other one is almost scrap) to use them for swords and knives.

Seems that the real antique market price of this thing is quite high, not to mention its historic value and the priceless info one could gain while studying it.

Let's hope that everything goes OK. I already have an offer but if the museum guys see this thread, I'll be glad to discuss an eventual trade with them.

PS:

It's Svetlozar :)

Hey Charles, I know that there are several museum guys around here and I hope that they will see this thread.

I think that Mr. Antonio "Cejunior" Conceicao Jr. is one of those museum and history people posting here but I feel really uncomfortable contacting him and offering him this historic barrel for sale.

I don't want it to be destroyed and turned into a bunch of blades, but I must admit that I bought the barrels (they are two actually, the other one is almost scrap) to use them for swords and knives.

Seems that the real antique market price of this thing is quite high, not to mention its historic value and the priceless info one could gain while studying it.

Let's hope that everything goes OK. I already have an offer but if the museum guys see this thread, I'll be glad to discuss an eventual trade with them.

PS:

It's Svetlozar :)

Hi,

Someone sent me the link to this thread. The barrell looks wonderful.

I would however like to clarify that all Museums have a purchase policy. Independently of how important the piece is to each of us, the Macau Museum of Art is not sword oriented, much less gun oriented.

These purchase policies are usually oriented into enriching the Museum's existing collections.

I think that Istanbul's Topkapi Museum

would be interested provided historical verification is certified, and budget exists.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help, Mr. Cejunior. I really appreciate this.

I have access to other historic items, including Turkish yataghans and other weapons. Will try to contact those museum guys in Istanbul.

Meanwhile, the status on this barrel is

SOLD

PS:

Haha this is funny!

Bladeforums.com is a good place also but you have to follow the rules. If a thread is started with an "item for sale" it will be taged as spam. BF does have forums for selling items but for paid members only. Please don't put down another forum because you didn't follow the rules there.

Cool barrel !!!

Bladeforums.com is a good place also but you have to follow the rules. If a thread is started with an "item for sale" it will be taged as spam. BF does have forums for selling items but for paid members only. Please don't put down another forum because you didn't follow the rules there.

Cool barrel !!!

I have nothing against www.bladeforums.com - it is a great community place, pretty huge too.

I didn't break any rules there, though, it is just that some stupid & totally ignorant fuck decided to play boss on me.

Thanks, the barrel is gorgeous, isn't it?

Its new owner will be happy with it. That's guaranteed.

PS:

Haha this is funny!

Where on the forum did you post it?

Where on the forum did you post it?

In their "For sale" section.

The fuck not only deleted the content of my thread but he also especially changed its title to "SPAM".

What a retard.

Anyway, I'm glad that we have a happy end here.

Well, the for sale area is the right place. Sounds like you were in the right, not sure what the problem was.

The only place where this would be an acceptable ad is here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=765

For Sale: Knifemaking Supplies & Tools

You do need a premium subscription for posting there.