You know you're hard core when...

...you keep "The $50 Knife Shop" and "The Wonder of Knife Making" by your bed side for light reading

...your Ebay password is ZPD189

...your vanity license plate is 15N20

...your son's name is Warcliff

...your daughter's name is Moran, aka Billie

...your dog's name is A2

...you have two cats, Lignum and Vitae

...you know your grinder's belt size but not your own

...you hit a chunk of steel in the road and get a flat tire and you spend 10 minutes trying to decide if it would make a decent blade

...you tell yourself that 20 minutes with some sandpaper and your knife handle will be ready for the buffer and 2 hours later you're still trying to get it just right.

...you get your Play Boy and your new Jantz catalog in the mail at the same time and you open the catalog first

...your wife runs off with your knife making buddy and the first thing you think of is to call his wife and ask if she would consider selling you his Bader Grinder dirt cheap

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

...You're sawing some steel, slip, cut your knuckle to the bone, then get upset because you chipped the sawblade. "But sawblades don't heal!"

...You can't wait for your car to get written off in an accident, just so you can get an excuse to get at the springs.

...you see kitchen knives at the shop, and smirk.

...you think that anything made of metal exists only as a source of material for YOU, no-one else.

...your hands are made of scars held together by burns.

...your shop is littered with little pieces of esoteric junk that you keep "in case it comes in useful"

...you've considered sneaking out at night with an angle grinder, to rip up the nearest rail track.

...when you want to sit down at home, you check the chair verrrry carefully, in case there's a knife hiding down the side.

...when you refuse to use charcoal briquettes even for your barbeque, and keep muttering "not good for fuel....." when you go to someone else's barbeque.

...when you've absorbed enough metal that it's started to collect in the bottom of your feet.

• 2 weeks later...

...the thought of not making blades is worse than the thought of making them.

...the thought of not making blades is worse than the thought of making them.

thanks J, i was just about to start a rant about people calling up and ordering knives at short notice, when i saw this and remembered that i am grateful for getting to do what i love for a living, even if it can get a bit stressful. i do hate deadlines, though.

Being called to make blades is a real mixed blessing.

...Though it remains a blessing. ;)

I had a student who stop coming by the shop and said he was moving to Thailand. I got the rest of the story a while later. He ran off to Thailand and left his girlfriend. I don't want to know what he went to Thailand for, but a buddy of mine got his kmg grinder for $125 from the girlfriend.

There was a time when I judged wealth by how many supplies I had in my shop reguardless of what was in my bank account. Both where pretty low. <_<

If you have learned to roll with your set backs

If you forge damascus in Florida in August and September during the record heatwave

If you make knives even when your broke, when no one says good job, when people think your wierd, when colledge chics think you make weapon instead of tools, when you know more about heat-treatment than the guy at the million dollar machine shop but they won't hire you for that job

If you remember steel composition better than holidays

If you check the knife and bladesmithing forums before you check your e-mail

If you know the strange sensation of hot flux on the back of your neck, in your mouth, ears, or any where on your body :rolleyes:

If you have made the decision that this the art that you love and you know in your heart that it is what the Lord Almighty God wants you to do. Then do it with all your heart and sing to the heaven.

.....you move an anvil inside and set it up beside your slow combustion wood fire heater .. for those little adjustments that cant wait until the next weekend.

.... you cant wait til the weekend you have set aside for heat treating your blade and end up using said woodfire heater and a hair dryer as a instant makeshift forge... :)

..... you move to your new house and upon seeing how close your salt water pool is to your workshop, you think to yourself .... 'hmm .. saltwater pool .... isnt that just a fancy way of saying large brine quench tank?"

all i can say is thank gawd i have my own forge now and dont have to wait until the weekend to do things ...

and thank gawd i have an understanding partner. ^_^

You and your bride go to various Antique shops and while your wife is looking at the neat old stuff, your on the prowl for old stuff that can be used for handle materials. :unsure:

You help a buddy move, just in the hopes he's throwing the old lawn mower away so you can scavange the blade off it for your next bowie project. B)

And you know your hard core when your list of arrands always includes going dumster diving at the local truck repair shop, looking for the "heaven sent" broken truck springs. :blink:

Peter

When you go to the scrapyard, find a 184 pound piece of steel that can be used as a platen backslash swage block, drag it out, and pay $.25 a pound for it. That's what I did today :D It should come in handy.

tt023-12.jpg

"when you check the bladesmithing forums before you check your email"

how did you know?

What, you mean some people check their email before checking here? :huh:

.....When you have a horrible nightmare about your dad destroying you 0-1 supply for no reason, and wake up in a cold sweat. True story, hahaha

What, you mean some people check their email before checking here? :huh:

There's always a few people who aren't quite right.

I've just finished my first folder (almost. it's still rough) and now everyone thinks i'm mad.

But I'll show THEM!

• 2 weeks later...

You know you are hardcore when your boggers are magnitic and can be forged to make a nice bolster.

when your dog starts rolling some newspaper every time you walk towards the shop.

when your wife is nervouse that you may qiut your other job and become a full time knife maker

You and your bride go to various Antique shops and while your wife is looking at the neat old stuff, your on the prowl for old stuff that can be used for handle materials. :unsure:

You help a buddy move, just in the hopes he's throwing the old lawn mower away so you can scavange the blade off it for your next bowie project. B)

And you know your hard core when your list of arrands always includes going dumster diving at the local truck repair shop, looking for the "heaven sent" broken truck springs. :blink:

Peter

Peter the wife says quit spying on us :lol:

When you go fishing on the Ottawa river and spend more time looking for wrought iron than fishing :D

You know you are hardcore when your boggers are magnitic and can be forged to make a nice bolster.

when your dog starts rolling some newspaper every time you walk towards the shop.

when your wife is nervouse that you may qiut your other job and become a full time knife maker

Imagin how nervous my wife is "AFTER" I quit my job to be a full time knifemaker :lol:

Peter

You know you're hard core when...

... you try to convince your signifigant other that a day at the forge is a romantic occasion; and it works.

... "distal taper" and "edge geometry" show up in your conversations more often than television show plot turns.

... you can name more smiths than sports stars; and more steel types than song names.

• 3 weeks later...

You're hardcore when.....you snigger at someone for half an hour for not knowing what O-1 is.

when there's ten pounds of dust on your floor (though i swept it out yesterday. the neighbours must have though i'd blown something up or something.)

when you've got eyebrows punctuated with cinders.