Naturally, I was busy helping Ric and Steven make steel, but I did snap a few off here and there, and I believe I handed my camera off to a couple folks from time to time.

Here's my photo album: My Photos

Here are a few choice teasers:

Looking into the preheat of furnace #1

150561587-M.jpg

I think it was angry from the beginning

150561622-M.jpg

You know it's over when fire comes from EVERYWHERE

150561645-M.jpg

The Traditionalists Knife Kit

150561576-M.jpg

The Product of Furnace #1

150561657-M.jpg

Same thing, after Steve and Don were done with it for a day

150561762-M.jpg

Lovely character

150561777-M.jpg

Pulling apart #2

150561835-M.jpg

Ahhhh, more steel

150561874-M.jpg

150561880-M.jpg

I really wish I'd seen more of what went on outside the smelter. Kevin seems a decent fellow, and I only caught a few precious moments watching Don and Steve work. I missed Wally's presentation entirely. Still, let me tell you - there is a tremendous learning jump between simply watching someone do something, and doing it yourself. Helping the smelt really taught me a lot about making steel, and I feel that I can finally speak intelligently about it now. I'd like to thank Mike and Randall for their example in past years, Ric for helping us this time, and Larry for the setting. The only thing I would ever change is the weather. Sunshine is much more fun to work in than rain.

And, wouldn't you know it, today at work when I mentioned my weekend activities, I got a guy who understands the custom market wanting me to make him a gladius. He has a fantasy sword on order with another custom maker, but that guy's been pushing him off and I may end up with that one as well. It's a bit scary, but less so than it would have been this time last year. Ric, I'll be calling you soon about this one.

Sweet shots, bro! You, Ric and Stephen worked like machines for two days straight! Well, you and Stephen did, at least... :o:P

Finally good to be able to put your face with your internet presence!

...contrary to your thinking, though, Cashen is a degenerate of the highest order. (It's good to know I'll see him once again later this year so he can slap me for that comment!)

Nice pics!... Sounds like you learned alot!.... gotta get myself to one of these soon....

...contrary to your thinking, though, Cashen is a degenerate of the highest order. (It's good to know I'll see him once again later this year so he can slap me for that comment!)

Takes one to know one :D