Question about side-draft forge design

Michael P

Hi there,

It's been quite a long time since I last posted and I have a question for a charcoal forge I'll start building this weekend. For the foreseeable future, the forge will be used to make chisels and maybe a few short blades.

I'm planning to use Ytong blocks (porous concrete) as the base structure of the forge body, jointed with fire cement and covered with a layer of adobe. The hearth maximum size would be around 8" by 16", with probably only 4" by 8" used most of the time (using firebricks to reduce the hearth size).

While thinking about the design, I had a (probably) whacky idea ;) 2 independent air supply circuits, each with 2 tuyeres (with their own stop valve). The idea would be able to supply air not only to the restricted zone I'll use most of the time, but also to the whole hearth when required. If it works out, it could be very versatile and quite fuel efficient as well.

So the question is... I am out of my mind or could that work?

Thanks in advance for all opinions on the subject :)

Michael

Have you seen Tim Livelys' washtub forge? I built one and it is probably my most versatile forge. This design will handle small and large jobs, oddly shaped pieces, welding, and heat treating. The only issues I have with it are: the weight, the durability of the adobe, and the airholes in the bottom becoming clogged with clinkers that I have to chisel to remove.

http://64.176.180.203/washtubforge.htm

Washtub_forge.jpg

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Well you must be a mind reader im in the prosses of building the same kind

of forge a plate 3ft long 2ft wide and 1.1/2 inch thick putting 3 tuyeres one side 2 on the other offset to even the air flow over the whole 3 ft base so I can turn them off indipendantly for smaller stuff but still do large Katana blades with an ash drop hole in the center with slide shutter line with fire clay this is for charcoal only so i have one for coke one for charcoal so NO i dont think your idear is crazy mate go for it experimentation is the mother of invention

cheers terry

the_new_forge.jpg

this is the coke forge so it will be roughly the same this now has a hood not shown

and a metal extractor fan and two blower's on 4 tuyeres 12volt car heater fans from the wreckers 3 bucks each 2 speed make sure you get the dash controls to get the two speed setting's

Edited by tell

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

if it aint broke dont fix it

Terry,

exactly what I had in mind! Excellent!

Thanks for the picture, too.

Michael

No problem mate i run the two fans off two battery chargers 12 volt if you do it right i also have a 12 battery connected to 1 of the charger s just to give a bit of a boost in the high setting and the charger keeps the battery charged up at the same time so you realy have approx 18 volts going to the fan's but only about 5 AMPS so they work fine , glad to help going to get my blocks tomorrow the plate is mounted on 6 welded together car rims with a angle iron frame on the top welded this gives the best working hight 3 rims in each stack set in the dirt or concreat what ever you have ,

you can even use a leaf blower if you get stuck or an old vacume cleaner on the blow outlet

ps . early pic of one of the blower before i added the block's its out of the FORD HEATER UNIT mounted on the pasenger side fire wall ( bulk head ) hope this helps

cheers terry

[

Edited by tell

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

• 2 months later...

Japanese__Blower.jpg

No problem mate i run the two fans off two battery chargers 12 volt if you do it right i also have a 12 battery connected to 1 of the charger s just to give a bit of a boost in the high setting and the charger keeps the battery charged up at the same time so you realy have approx 18 volts going to the fan's but only about 5 AMPS so they work fine , glad to help going to get my blocks tomorrow the plate is mounted on 6 welded together car rims with a angle iron frame on the top welded this gives the best working hight 3 rims in each stack set in the dirt or concreat what ever you have ,

you can even use a leaf blower if you get stuck or an old vacume cleaner on the blow outlet

ps . early pic of one of the blower before i added the block's its out of the FORD HEATER UNIT mounted on the pasenger side fire wall ( bulk head ) hope this helps

cheers terry

re side blower forge i made a japanese set of bellows and mounted them on a new forge easy as falling of a log push pull air see pic's

Japanese__Blower.jpg

Japanese__Blower_001.jpg

as i said easy as cheers terry