Tsuka Wrap Tutorial

Ken Wolfe

Check out the fit and finish board, there's a great sticky "tsuka maki" that has a bunch of ideas and a link to the T Buck site that's a big help too

Thanks Matt. I think that's where I saw the wrap originally. I can't figure out how they are done and I guess the tutorial never happened. Oh well. :unsure:

Thanks Matt. I think that's where I saw the wrap originally. I can't figure out how they are done and I guess the tutorial never happened. Oh well. :unsure:

If it is the wrap I think of, I used it once (about 3 years ago) to rewrap an iaito I used as a suburito. It is not very difficult to make, it just requires a lot of patience, a lot of hishigame and possibly a few dabs of rice glue to keep the hishigame in place while you wrap. You just cross the ito flat, no pinch, and pull like mad. I did it with slightly moist ito, if I recall correctly.

My wrap was not cosmetically perfect, but hey... it survived more than 2 years of daily exercise :)

If it is the wrap I think of, I used it once (about 3 years ago) to rewrap an iaito I used as a suburito. It is not very difficult to make, it just requires a lot of patience, a lot of hishigame and possibly a few dabs of rice glue to keep the hishigame in place while you wrap. You just cross the ito flat, no pinch, and pull like mad. I did it with slightly moist ito, if I recall correctly.

My wrap was not cosmetically perfect, but hey... it survived more than 2 years of daily exercise :)

Thanks Michael,

Not sure if that's the wrap I'm thinking of. Take a look at Fit & Finish as Matt mentioned. I believe most of them are done by Byan.

Thanks Michael,

Not sure if that's the wrap I'm thinking of. Take a look at Fit & Finish as Matt mentioned. I believe most of them are done by Byan.

Hmm, he's doing it with 4 strands of paracord whereas I did it with 2 of cotton ito. I'm also not sure of what happens under the top cross-over. I might try to do that style with silk when I rewrap one of my tanto.