Suggested gas forge size?

I've been thinking about making some new forges to play with.

Talked to my neighbor about it as he's been helping me with the welding of various things.

Think I'll take the opportunity for some lessons as well...but anyway.

I'm gonna build a new charcoal forge, planning on a side draft. Basically taking what I've wished was different about my current forge and use them to build new one.

Also I'm thinking about getting the body welded up for a gas forge.

Neighbor has a piece of 12" dia pipe.

What would the thoughts be on using that. I know a smaller area would be better.

Was thinking the 12 x 12 or a 12 x 18 might be a bit big.

Wanted to build a Fogg style for use with gas, and I wanted to also build a oil burner to hook up to it.

Should I think more about a 10" dia pipe instead?

I know a 1" layer of the wool is preferred, that'd bring the inner area down to a 10".

Would be nice for welding.

I can try to find some smaller if it would be better.

Once I get a drawing done of the charcoal one I'll post it here for some feedback and my reasons behind it.

But any suggestions or things you've wished yours had would be great.

Oh by the way, I'm back from Florida! Had a fun time. Haha.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

Hi Ed

12" should be fine. I built my first forge from an 18kg propane bottle and that's about 14" dia, and 24" long, just got to up the burners a little. It took a bit longer than a small one to get up to heat, but once it was hot it was very even inside.

"When our eyes see our hands doing the work of our hearts, the circle of Creation is completed inside us, the doors of our souls fly open and love steps forth to heal everything in sight."  Michael Bridge

From my experience, 1" just doesn't cut it. 2" is good. 3" is great.

I once had a forge that was constructed entirely (except for the floor of hard brick) of kaowool rolled around. I cut it into strips about 5" wide and rolled it around in a circle. I laid 3 or 4 inches of kaowool on top. For the burner, I cut a large hole in the side of the kaowool, then tightly wrapped a strip of kaowool around the burner nozzle, and inserted that into the hole. The stability of the structure was fine. This was 8 pound density kaowool (which is best for forges), and after firing the forge a few times, the kaowool becomes more rigid. Worked great.

I had read in some other threads where I thought it was said that 1" was best and that 2" didn't give much more insulation since it was just a larger thickness it had toheat up to keep the heat it or some such.

Would it depend on the type of wood and the coating perhaps?

I'd have plenty of room to do a 2" thickness though.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

• 1 month later...

I have just had My forst "dragons breath" made

it's 15 inches long and ahout 6 inches in dia otigon shaped

the make sez thats a decent length , this forge will heat up a RR spike to cherry in less than 5 min, with 2 burners

~M~

Member:

Cal Knives

Practioner:

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

I like the idea of smaller.

It gives a more controllable heat, I think. Right now I'm running a two burner forge with a chamber size of 24"x 6" diameter in a ten inch pipe (two inches of kaowool), and I think I'd be much happier and more efficient with a 10" x 6" diameter, with three inches of wool. I thought that it would work better for bigger blades, but it seems like I never work more than six inches of steel at a time. The only time I run both burners is when I'm welding, and that is just to keep the chamber hotter. If the chamber were smaller to start off with, I wouldn't need that.

My next forge will probably emulate Don's design, with a venturi burner instead of forced air.

Josh

I made a gas forge out of a large mailbox. The height was is more than 10" and was about that wide. I just added more Inswool until the walls, top, and bottom was 3" thick. then I lined it with Missoue refractory cement. I was able to get (bearly) into welding temp with it with a single venturi burner even though the forge is 18" deep. I do, however, live just a few feet above sea level.

I'm not clear on what type of gas burner you intend to use but give a blown burner consideration. You can get everything off the shelf and there are not internal parts such as the mig tip in a venturi burner. Thus you don't have to install any set screws to adjust the tip with. Only the burner tube itself needs to be black pipe (that should probably be more correctly an injection tube because you don't want any combustion to occure inside it), the rest could be made of galvanized pipe or even PCV pipe. The only part that can be expensive is the blower. My information is that it only needs about a 60 CFS output and you may be able to obtain one second hand or through salvage. There have also been some good prices on sales at web sites, but I managed to miss out on those. I got one off Ebay for $50 which is probably on the mid to upper range for regular prices from dealers on the web. If you are intending to switch to an oil burner, you will need to have a blower anyway.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Yeah the oil burner would just be something to experiment with and see if I could get it running good. Not sure when I'll get around to the projects.

I was thinking of building the burner as well.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods