Railings, not a blade

Sam Salvati

Here is a railing for a stoop for a client's house. I can give better more detailed specs if anyone wants, but it's mostly 1 inch wide 1/8th thick flat bar. My boss had built the frame, then told me to fill the empty spaces, and gave me a picture of this old forged railing the client's really liked, and wanted a similar look. The scroll layout was completely freehanded by me, and was sort of a resume/interveiw for the job. All the parts mig welded(sorry Moony) together, but through drilled holes to make it look like rivets where possible. Not sure how much it is costing the clients. It was fun, I got to use Hossfeld scroll makers and a VERY nice welder (Millermatic 220), hydraulic fed bandsaw, really fun.

I'll have up some more pictures when it is installed.

Railing_1.JPG

Railing_2.JPG

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Thanks guys! It was fun, I like the new job VERY MUCH, but it sadly means less time in my own shop, but then again my bills actually get paid, so it is sort of bittersweet. I hope do be able to do some of my own designs, and my boss says I can do some of my own stuff using the equipment at the shop, so things are MUCH easier for my own business now.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Thanks Adlai, hopefully it will be installed soon, and I can get pictures of it all finished and painted.