build a masonry forge

MDF

hello to all,

these are some images of like I have constructed my new forge. he is 26x54x20 cm (ideal for long blades) but it can be shrunk with mobile bricks.

Image_1.jpg

the carpentry

Image_2.jpg

the base in concrete

Image_3.jpg

the masonry

Image_4.jpg

the handle for the tongs

Image_5.jpg

the finished wall

Image_6.jpg

now the refractory bricks

Image_7.jpg

the tube for the air

Image_8.jpg

Image_9.jpg

Image_10.jpg

Image_11.jpg

Image_12.jpg

the sostituible tube

Image_13.jpg

Image_14.jpg

very hot!!

Image_15.jpg

iin this way is ideal for long annealing

Marco

Edited by MDF

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

Well Marco that is one heck of a forge, where is it built thats a pretty nice looking tile floor?

Bob

Man that is absolutely beutifull! Thanks for sharing.

Larry Sharp

Edited by SHARPENSTEIN

When the world ends, I want to be in Kentucky because they are 25 years behind everybody else. Mark Twain

My Webpage

MDF,

That is an awesome forge. How long did it take you to finish it ? Would you be so kind as to post more on this forge, such as a list of your materials and a more detailed process of how it was built.

I would love to build me a forge of the magnitude of yours and if it would be okay with you I would like to use your plans for my own. I look forward to your next post.

swordsmith_n_training[/font]

Swordsmith_n_training

Soon I insert a detailed list of the used materials and detailed measures more.

CIAO

Marco

Edited by MDF

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

Very Cool Marco! Maybe angle the tuyere pipe down a bit and elbow it out of your way, so the blower is not right in front like that?

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Hi,

the used materials are:

old bricks for the lateral wall,

concrete and steel (diameter 18mm) for the base,

refractory bricks for the forge,

tube in cast iron for track (diameter 8cm),

tube in steel pierced for air (diametr 5cm),

refractory paste,

lime and break bricks for lateral filling.

The concrete base is 71x71cm and is 10cm of thickness.

Sam, the blower is mounted more low, no problem.

Excuse newly for my english!!

CIAO

Marco

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

Ahh ok, I would get angry and probably kick it off the pipe if it kept getting in my way hehe:D.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Marco, great job on that forge! Looks like it was very well thought out beforehand. The removable twyere will make replacement very easy at a later date, or if you want to change the pattern of air coming into the forge. I would make at least two up, one with air in one spot for forging blades. No need to burn all that fuel when working on a two inch section of blade. The other one, like the one you made, for doing the heat treating. If the blower and twyere do get in the way, it could be moved underneath the forge by adding a couple of 90 degree elbows.

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

In this way the forge is ideal for heat treatments, normally when I forge I divide it with simple bricks.

Yes, I has made the interchanging tuyere just in order to replace it with other second the necessity, is a fast way for having one forge with various characteristics.

CIAO

Marco

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco