Does anyone have experience using a microscope for engraving? My eyes are too old to see very well .........I went on line and found there are lots of differant scopes to be had....... does anyone have advice on a specific brand either pro or con? I found some for a little as

$ 500 but I'm not sure how the optics are......... one was OMANO and another was BOOM MICROSCOPES....... I'm sure like anything you get what you pay for........ I saw some for a few thousand........ what kind do you have and are you happy with it or would you get a differant one ?

thanks

Dick

Does anyone have experience using a microscope for engraving? My eyes are too old to see very well .........I went on line and found there are lots of differant scopes to be had....... does anyone have advice on a specific brand either pro or con? I found some for a little as

$ 500 but I'm not sure how the optics are......... one was OMANO and another was BOOM MICROSCOPES....... I'm sure like anything you get what you pay for........ I saw some for a few thousand........ what kind do you have and are you happy with it or would you get a differant one ?

thanks

Dick

Dick,

I have a gravemiester and fool around with it, but I'm no engraver. I bought 3 of the $500 scopes so far and love them. I bought one for myself. Its a Meiji clone made in China. The Chinese are great at cloning stuff. It had no name on it. I don't remember what web page it was from, but I could look for it again if you want, but I think you have already found it. I work as a tech for Nasa JPL, and I needed a scope to do surface mount circuit board assemby. Most idiots around hear would go by something really expensive, but I saved the tax payer some $ and bought another of the same I had gotten for myself at home. Then my boss moved on to another section and took it with him, so I bought another. This one, from the same source has a sticker on it that reads OMANO.Com These are very nice scopes. Like I said, they are clones of the Meiji. The optics are, or seem just fine to me. Remember, we are looking at engraving, and in my case also very small electronic parts. We are not looking at single cell life forms. I really highly recommend the OMANO. I've been using one for over 5 years now and love it. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!

Tony G

Hey guys,

THAT is exactly what I was looking for ....... thank you all........

I pretty much covered all this ground three times all ready and once again today after reading your answers.........

My head is still swimming but I keep going back to my own experiances ......... Mostly is that you get what you pay for.......... and I read the same thing at the other sites I visited.......

I wish I had a huge wallet........don't we all?

I'm thinking I may opt for a meiji body and focus clamp and make my own boom stand.

I think I may keep an eye on ebay also.......

thanks agian.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I got one off eBay for something like $275... they said it came out of an electronics factory. 20x binocular on an adjustable boom stand.

Basically the scope is only so-so. On learning more about them I find that the cheap ones have a very narrow depth of field, so constant adjustment of the focus in needed. On the other hand... holy crap! I can actually SEE what I'm doing!!! It is absolutely stunning what depth of detail the hand is able to perform if the eye can only see! The boom stand is WONDERFUL because I can swivel it out and over very large objects that would never ever fit under the lens of a standard scope. I do wish I had the $2000 scope on the end of this boom... but I got something I could afford and it works... so all in all I'm happy with the purchase.

Richard

I don't know anything about microscopes, but I do know something from personal experiance about eyesight. You may find this suggestion to be funny or even think of it as a load of crap, but I am just tring to help. If you find wisdom in my words, cool. If not, hey have a good laugh on me.

There is an herb called eyebright and it is for the general good health of your eyes. It is not for every problem nor will it grow hair on bald men or save the world from daytime tv. It is use in maintianing your current level of eyesight and in my case seems to have improve it. You can get it at herbal and health stores. If you pay more than $5 for a month supply then someone is ripping you off. As with any herb you should try to get it as fresh as possible, but it keeps for a good while. You can also get lutin at health store like gnc and it is very good for your eye also. It will help with things that eyebright does not. Together they are very good for your eyesight. You can grind eyebright into a powder and take it in capsule or just put the powder in your food. I really liked it on spiggetti or your can make tea from it, add a little peppermint and you will never tatse it. Whatever you do don't try to eat it in the chopped form it's like eating twig and hay with tree bark throw in. You can make the tea that way, but I like it ground no matter what.

Well I hope this help you. :D

Sometimes, eating rommin that taste bad, can be fun too. Hara Haruko-FLCL

Raymond Johnson

My Webpage

So I wound up getting an Omano OMVV5

from the Microscopestore.com it was delivered to my door for $600.25........ they have a return policy so I figured I'd see if it was OK and if not I could return it....... I just couldn't swing the Meiji price... I'm sure it is probably better but the Omano seems OK for me at this point. I do notice that I have to refocus it when I zoom but I figure that I will probably use it in one position for most of the time anyway and it doesn't take that long to refocus it when I zoom it. I looked through a meiji at the Blade show this year and it was just amazed at how much I could see .....Like you say Tom . Holy crap.. I mean it is just cheating to be able to see that much detail!!!!!!! the Omano looks the same to me but I'm not experianced with using a scope and can't remember the Meiji enough to see the differance....... I'm sure there must be and next time I look though a meiji or other ones I will be able to see the differance ....... Ray , thanks for the health tips...... but they don't grow hair? I could use some ( on the top of my head). I have to wear a hat for protection from the sun and cold and mostly for protection against inmovable objects....... I could use some curb feelers up there to warn me as I'm about to ram my scalpe into some hard object. ha ha ha . So thank you all for the input. Here is a photo of the Omano on my messy bench. it already looks like it has been there for years

dick