New fitting material

I was looking for something different for fittings, so i forged up a bunch of piano wires that were wrapped with other wire. I think it is cool and very unique fitting material.

Bob

fpw.JPG

Im glad someone did that, I had thought about that for about a year but I dont have nearly enough skill to do that.

You should name it after a composer or something and coin a name.

Dang that looks cool. I have to agree with Alan. It looks like some kind of biological experement.

That's one of the things I like about this place; people trying different things.

Thanks for showing us.

Willie Nappier

Robert

Too Cool...... what an inspiration!!!!!!! thanks .........

Did you take it to welding heat or is it just forged? maybe you even forged it cold ? or did you use heat?

Dick

Dick i forged them at welding temp i'm sure i burnt all the carbon that was in the wire out :P . It was very hot short and wanted to crumble. These are the small wires with steel wrap not the brass or copper wrapped ones.

Alan i thought it looked like fossils as well. Thanks for lookin fellows.

Well now, there is something you don't see every day. Not unless you are looking under a microscope lens.

I'll say it looks like some species of bacillus mixed with coccus in my bias point of view.

Really neat idea, I'm always looing for cool stuff to try. Bob, how big was the bundle when you started? Thats going to look great on a knife, can't wait to see what you do with it. :unsure:

Peter

Really neat idea, I'm always looing for cool stuff to try. Bob, how big was the bundle when you started? Thats going to look great on a knife, can't wait to see what you do with it. :unsure:

Peter

Thanks for the comments folks!

Peter i started with about a half inch bundle and kept folding and twisting it till it was fairly tight then put it in the forge heated more twisting more heat another twist then forged it. I ended up with a piece 3/4"w X 1/4 thick by 5" long after cleaning it up. Someone that has more control with a hammer would probably get more finished product :P

Bob

Bob,

next time try sticking it in a "can" I think you would be able to get rid of all the gaps if you did....... Such a cool idea as it looks like alot of people think.....I think you should get in touch with some jazz musians........ I think they would think it is very cool also.

dick

hey that looks neat robert. i wonder if it would work the same with guitar strings

I don't see why not if you had enough of them, but if i ever do it again i will use a can with high carbon powder to fill the gaps as Dick suggested.

Bob,

I don't think you would have to use any powder. If you wraped the wire in some stainless tool wrap and then sandwiched it as tight as you can get it into a package of mild steel bar stock and arc or mig or tig weld it closed all the way around inclulding the ends. drill a couple of 1/16 th inch holes in one of the ends first before welding . or stuff in in some tubing with caps on the ends with the two holes in one end. then fill it with kerosene through the one hole in the end. the other hole lets the air out as you fill it and when you see the kerosene come out the other hole you know it is full and has displaced the air inside. then forge weld it ....... It works best if you can squeeze it in V dies so that it compesses from all sides at the same time. take a few welding heats until it seems to get solid and then cut off the outside package and all those gaps should be gone......... I do all my "can " welding this way and it seems to work good . I don't use any powder at all.

Hawthrn. .. guitar strings are wrapped in bronze or brass usually.......

Good luck next time Bob. this is such a cool idea

Dick

Bob,

I don't think you would have to use any powder. If you wraped the wire in some stainless tool wrap and then sandwiched it as tight as you can get it into a package of mild steel bar stock and arc or mig or tig weld it closed all the way around inclulding the ends. drill a couple of 1/16 th inch holes in one of the ends first before welding . or stuff in in some tubing with caps on the ends with the two holes in one end. then fill it with kerosene through the one hole in the end. the other hole lets the air out as you fill it and when you see the kerosene come out the other hole you know it is full and has displaced the air inside. then forge weld it ....... It works best if you can squeeze it in V dies so that it compesses from all sides at the same time. take a few welding heats until it seems to get solid and then cut off the outside package and all those gaps should be gone......... I do all my "can " welding this way and it seems to work good . I don't use any powder at all.

Hawthrn. .. guitar strings are wrapped in bronze or brass usually.......

Good luck next time Bob. this is such a cool idea

Dick

Dick thanks for the info. I only have a few hammers no power hammer or press but i might give a small can a go and see how it turns out.

Bob