Thought about it to long

Stuart Willis

This one had been laying on the bench a while. I just could not decide whether I was going to do file work,engrave,do a cut out in the blade or brass inlay. So I decided to just leave it alone and finish it. Forged from 1 in. square 1045. Handle is curly maple with pewter end caps. What do you think to plain looking?

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Stuart Willis - Frontier Knives and Tomahawks

Stuart imho there is not a lot you could do to improve on this hawk. Could you tell us what treatment you use to finish the haft.

Bob

Thanks Bob, The way I finish my handles is: After roughing them to shape I start with a 60 grit paper move up till I get to a 120 grit. Besure to leave about 2 inches sticking above the head,because the next step reduces the size. Then I burn it a chocalate brown with the torch,forge,any kind of flame. If you have pewter fittings stay off them or they will melt. Be careful not to get it to hot or it will crack with you. I think the old gunsmiths used to call this whiskering. It also hardens the wood. Then I pick back up the 120 grit and progress up to 240 and then steel wool. I use leather dye for the color. If it comes out to dark steel wool it some more. Then 3 to 4 coats of tung oil steel wool between coats and lightly after last coat. Polish with paste wax. I make my wax with a good paste wax melted with beeswax about half and half. hope this helps

Edited by Stuart Willis

Stuart Willis - Frontier Knives and Tomahawks

Really nice. And, wow, that wood really looks beautiful!

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

I like it "plain looking" like you've done there. Looks like it has just the right stuff at just the right place. I really like the finish of the wood. Also, thanks for posting the process too.

Who; me?