Kwaiken project: 1095 with clay temper

Chris Moss

okay this was one of those projects that i just had alot of fun doing. i was designing a knife with a freind of mine. we were trying to make something small and delicate but no nonsense. but it needed some... bite. and here is what we came up with. she helped with the designing... and i did the work. i made the blade and all the hardware yesterday then i finished the handle and polished the blade today.

the blade is 1095, with a grenedillo handle brass and micarta hardware and i clayed the blade and tried out my Parks #50 turned out good.

i think i will prolly do some more of this design.. so comments would be appreciated.

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01660.jpg

IMG_5226.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

thanks for looking!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

http://knifemaker87.googlepages.com/home

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

SWEET!!!!!!

I like the way you left the top edge open, smart way to keep the sori to a minimum

I would wear that blade proudly

Mike

Member:

Cal Knives

Practioner:

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

that's a beauty, and just amazing for two day's work - it'd take me a week. my only comment is that i think it would have looked even better with some kind of habaki, but still lovely work. can you give us some specs - length, width, thickness, steel type, polish etc? i particularly like the mirror polished edge with the texture on the unhardened parts - gives it a kinda ji-hada look.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

wow...

thanks guys... heh.. i admit the pictures came out pretty good... oh but you have to hold it. it is my favorite so far. the blade is soooooo alive feeling... but specs... we need specs

1095 clayed blade

Parks #50 quenched

double tempered

polished to 600 grit then buffed

light FC etch

Brass seppa and spacer

Micarta "tsuba"

Grenedillo burl handle one peice (that is just oil on the handle..)

almost full length, hidden tang

11 3/4" OAL

6 1/2" blade 1/8" thick distal tapered

i am gonna put it up for sale... but the girl who helped design/inspire it... well she kinda needs to see it first you know? yeahhhh

let me know if you are interested

oh and quick note on the designing...

we kinda worked through the designing process together... but my freind had the final say. in the end we worked of an existing design... but i don know who made it... i dont think it was joe blow... anybody know who made this knife so i can give them credit for it?

we designed handle fittings and hamon.. blade was done like in the pic... turned out good. very gracful

ShankIllSingleRW.jpg

thanks!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

is that not a chrysanthemum blossom under the handle wrap? i could be wrong, but the lines scream don fogg to me. if your'e gonna be inspired by anyone, this is the place to start.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

(i think don Fogg used a cherry blossom)

but yeah i love his work... but i couldnt for the life of me find this pic on his website... and i forgot where i got it from..

but yeah... he and Don Hanson are big inspirations for me.

thanks guys

~Chris

(i think don Fogg used a cherry blossom)

but yeah i love his work... but i couldnt for the life of me find this pic on his website... and i forgot where i got it from..

but yeah... he and Don Hanson are big inspirations for me.

thanks guys

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Almost a shame to cover that wood with a cord wrap. That is one outstanding knife and I like the way that you did the sheath too.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!