European Sword in the works

Mat Maresch

Hello Folks.

Forged this blade today - I have been eager for this all my life, and today I woke up knowing this is the day.

Blade forged from 2´ 5160.

No grinding done so far - weight is 1100grams, length 30´, 2 1/4´wide at the widest, thickness from 1/4´to 1/8´inch.

I´ll keep you informed ;)

Mat

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

www.mareschmesser.de

Knifemaker, Germany

Looking great Mat keep us posted your progress. And good for you for going for it as it seems it is something you have been working towards.

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Indeed, Robert, thats been something I longed for a LONG time. In fact, making swords was one of the things that got m into the apprenticeship with Uli. Still a long way to reach his level, but - I´m a lot younger :-p

I´ll keep you informed. hope it will not go wrong somewhere!

Mat

www.mareschmesser.de

Knifemaker, Germany

Thanks.

Just had a hell of a time grinding. The fuller nearly caused me nervous breakdowns. Now I need a rest, then I´m gonna grind a bit more.... Hope she stays straight while normalizing once again ( in the fire). Gonna be a featherweight.

Hope to get you some pics tonight.

Mat

Edited by Mat Maresch

www.mareschmesser.de

Knifemaker, Germany

Well, did the rough grinding today. Weight is now 840 gramms.

YTomorrow I´ll do the fine grinding, and work the ridges out.

Greets!

Mat

10.jpg

11.jpg

www.mareschmesser.de

Knifemaker, Germany

Today is the day for quenching. I am sorry, but I didn´t have time to get pics of the cleaned up blade - will show here while hardening tonight.

I have the luck to use the salt-tank of a colleague living some 200kms away from here.

Please wish me luck, folks, I am as nervous as can be.... First time I harden something THAT long.

Mat

www.mareschmesser.de

Knifemaker, Germany

Today is the day for quenching. I am sorry, but I didn´t have time to get pics of the cleaned up blade - will show here while hardening tonight.

I have the luck to use the salt-tank of a colleague living some 200kms away from here.

Please wish me luck, folks, I am as nervous as can be.... First time I harden something THAT long.

Mat

I'll wish you luck Mat! My first and constant challange for working with big blades is keeping it from sagging under it's own weight. I didn't realize what a challenge that could be when I started. Working with a salt tank should make it a snap though. Thats cheatin' isn't it?

Station Master - Angel Station

http://home.comcast.net/~greyangel1/AngelStation