I am making forging hammers now and offering them to smiths who want a quality, handmade forging hammer.

I am making these hammers in many different styles (although certain specifics remain the same), so you can take your pick. I will post pictures of different styles and types of hammers as I come out with them, and you can choose which suits you best.

Here are some pictures of what I am offering now. As I come out with new styles, I will put pictures in posts below, so keep checking.

tt023-20.jpg

All hammers I offer are $85. for heads weighing less than three pounds, $100. for heads weighing three to four pounds, and sledges are priced individually based on size.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I can be pm'd, emailed, or called anytime at (478) 501-8374

Ty

tt028-4.jpg

tt026-8.jpg

Edited by Ty Murch

Ty, I know you're gonna kill me for this (as I'm posting without actually including pics), but I mirror-polished the face of the Official NABS hammer this morning!

So yes, Dee, I'm being a picture tease, too! :P

I'm bringing it to Derrick Wulf's Hammer-In this weekend, and I plan on forcing a much better photographer than myself snap some pics, so bear with me! I think you'll dig it...

Neat-o Matt!

Check out these pictures of my friend Eddie and myself (I'm the tall skinny, obvious NABS member, with sledge hammer) forging a 36 pound sledge. We got it slitted and partially drifted today, and we are going to finish the head on Friday....or atleast try. This is 4" square bar. A little too big for my forge so I went over there. Besides, you really can't do this work by hand on your own.

THOR3.jpg

THOR2.jpg

Gonna sleep like a rock tonight :wacko:

Look, it's so big the outside is dark red while the inside is yellow. B)

Edited by Ty Murch

so what would it take to get a demo of how you slit and drift? a first born child....... seriously nice hammers and hopefully you will be herring for me in about 2 weeks to purchase one!!

Thanks

~~DJ

Edited by DJPratt

Dang, Ty, you really ARE a N.A.B.! :lol: Who in their right mind wants a 36-lb sledge? Oh, wait, we're bladesmiths, so that kinda rules out being in one's right mind. Carry on! ;)

Update on the progress of the 36 pound sledge hammer.

The eye is roughly 7/8" x 1-3/4" right now. We talked and decided that in order to open it all the way to the 1-3/4" round (which will later be flattened to make it oval which will then be drifted to give the hour glass shape) we will need more strikers. Probably two more, three altogher. So, we have to recruit a few people.

Work delayed for a little while.

I've been feeling buff from that day, too!

:D;)

New hammer pics on the way. Should finish atleast one hammer tomorrow. One that didn't take multiple strikers!

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look. New hammer. This one is pretty hefty at 3-3/4 pounds. Forged and heat treated from the same 4140 steel.

tt028-6.jpg

More soon.

Edited by Ty Murch

I owe you an enormous apology, Ty... I promised pictures of the hammer you made me, and I've been so busy I haven' t had a chance to do anything!!!!

My friend with the really nice camera might be coming over tomorrow... if he does, I promise to make him take a few shots for ya!

I love it, btw... it swings very differently from a normal hammer (I got an offset style, gang), and hits differently, too. I like the difference a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff. To heat treat a hammer from 4140 I normalize it twice, then I quench it in warm agitated canola oil, and I temper it twice by heating it slowly with a propane torch in the eye.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just recieved one of Ty`s japanese style hammers yesterday.

It feels great in the hand, and have a great balance.

I´m hoping to get a chance to forge with it this weekend.

Cant wait to start swinging this one. ; )

Michael

Thank you Michael. Happy forging.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ty, do you make a hammer with about 1" wide face parallel to the handle for drawing out a billet? Just looked back over the pictures and here's another idea. (nice that I do that after the original post) What do you think of making a hammer like in post #13 but with the pean turn parallel to the handle? I'd like the broad massive slightly rounded end to draw out with and the flat face to flatten the billet with. I'd need it at about 3lbs but not any more than that.

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester