Sign in to follow this  
Joss

Ray Pieper III JS Test

Ray Pieper tested for journeyman last Friday and pass with flying colors. Congratulations Ray.

Don,

Do you recommend 5160 for the cut & bend test?  Can it be done with all the usual steels, including 10XX?

I don't use 5160 and prefer the 10xx for everything. I know that folks have passed the test using it, but my best advice is to work with a steel that you know and know how to heat treat. You don't want any surprises. This test is just to determine your understanding of heat treating. Make up sample pieces and practice until you are confident then make one for the test.

Congrats Ray!  I heard that the blade was a monster when it came to the bend.  Good Job!

Joss, I used 1095 for my test blade, I know the steel and feel good about using it.

Dale

That bend is evidence of a superior heat treat. keep up the great work. In my opinion blades that take a set at 90 are defective.

Thanks for the feed back, That was at Don's shop March 03 and I passed the fit and finish June 04 at the blade show. The blade is 1084 steel and had to put a pipe on it to bend it 90 deg. it was the third one I had made out of 1084. The next time I make a text blade I will make it a little thinner :;):  Thanks for the post.