Wagon wheel wrought iron interest.

I am working out a deal for 500 Lbs of wagon wheel wrought iron. The samples I got are real clean and etch out real nice. It would sell for $3 a lbs so if anyone is interested let me know. This pallet of rims was destined for the landfill but I was able to intervene and convince the guy that I/we could put it to better use.

I will post a pic of one of the sample pieces that I ground and etched. Right now I am at the office so when i get home the pics will be posted.

This was a test etching of a 1/2" piece with two different light angles.

wagonwheel003-web.jpg

wagonwheel002-web.jpg

Another piece I surface ground today.

wroughtsample-web.jpg\

It is pretty clean considering how old it is.

wagonwheel6-web.jpg

wagonwheel5-web.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

I am working out a deal for 500 Lbs of wagon wheel wrought iron. The samples I got are real clean and etch out real nice. It would sell for $3 a lbs so if anyone is interested let me know. This pallet of rims was destined for the landfill but I was able to intervene and convince the guy that I/we could put it to better use.

This stuff looks really nice. And $3 a lb isn't bad. I paid a lot more for a link of chain from Darren Ellis. But then I really lucked out and a fellow named Robert that live not to far from where I work put an add on this forum for wrought iron chain for $0.30 a pound. I Scored about 260 lb for about $70. I wish I had more money at the time, but what I have will probably last me a life time. I don't think I'll ever come upon a deal like that again. But if I hadn't I'd jump on this stuff. It looks to be of a very nice quality. Its just amazes me that it was on its way to the land fill. It makes you wonder how much more of the stuff has just been thrown out. Well, good luck selling it. You should make a lot of smith really happy.

I am still working out the freight details for home delivery. Hopefully it's not going to get real expensive.

There will be some 1"x1" axle pieces also in the shipment that he test etched for me.

I am being flooded with PM's and emails from those of you that are interested but I do not know the sizes yet. I will not have the time or resources to deal with different sized orders. It will be sold in either a 50 Lbs Flat rate box or a 1/2 Lbs sample pack. Anyone that has shipped steel or iron knows what a nightmare it is to package up so it does not break during shipment.

Jerry, I do not know anything about the rims other then thay are a collection of many different sizes. If I find out any info on them I will post it. That would not be good Ju-Ju to have anything from the Donner party. :blink: I heard they had a few friends over for dinner. :unsure:

Edited by B Finnigan

Looks like very good stuff Brent.

I know what you mean about cutting, packing and shipping this stuff, after shipping over 250 boxes of W2. At times, it was a full time job :)

I just completed the deal and the pallet should ship next week. It will take me a few days to haul it home, cut it up, box it and get it shipped out. The freight co. will not deliver it to my house so it will have to go to a friend of mine's heavy equipment leasing yard. He can load it into my truck with one of the forklifts also.

Edited by B Finnigan

Ill take 50lb's, I always wanted to san mai a blade but have never found a source for Wraught.

Let me know.

blindhogg@aol.com

Chris Williams

Brent, rip some 1 X 10s 2 3/4" wide. Build a rectangle, screwed at the corners, that will fit inside the Flat Rate box.

Cover it both sides with 1/4" Luan. An entire 4' X 8' sheet of luan costs about 10 bucks and you can conver a s--t load of boxes that way.

You know I've shipped about 3 tons of Wrought Iron in the past two years. Not to mention all the 5160 I sell.

Edited by kbaknife

Thas is my intention is to build a wood liner just like you did for the wrought and 5160. Th wood boxes also make a compact storage box to keep the steels and iron seperated.

BTW, I just forged a claw hammer with some of your 5160. It's nice stuff to work with.

Brent, once you get all settled with the rims, i would like a small amount also. looks like it will work for a couple projects (and as it is not too thick, it should be easy for me to forge).

take care------azmike

• 3 weeks later...

The load will ship out on Mon (8-13). They have really dragged thier feet on this order but it is more of a favor then a business deal so I have not been bugging them (too bad).

• 2 weeks later...

The shipment arrived at the yard and I will be hauling it home Fri Eve. This weekend I will start cutting it up weather permitting. I still have to get some liner wood boxes built so hopefully I will be shipping by next weekend.

I have kept everyones PM's and emails and will start at the top of the list.

I got the pallet home and the rims are mostly 1/4 a few 3/8 and 2 that are 1/2" thick. About half the pallet is 1"x1" axles. They also threw in some misc. pieces off of different covered wagons and stagecoaches. Should start cutting real soon.

• 4 weeks later...
I got the pallet home and the rims are mostly 1/4 a few 3/8 and 2 that are 1/2" thick. About half the pallet is 1"x1" axles. They also threw in some misc. pieces off of different covered wagons and stagecoaches. Should start cutting real soon.

Hi,

I'm new to real wrought iron. Can you sell me one of your sample size pieces? How do I order some?

Thanks,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I no sooner started cutting the rims up and I re-herniated my lumbar 4,5 disk so I have been down for the count. Ten days ago I got two steroid epidurals that are just now slowly starting to work. I am also on some heavy duty pain meds and only getting less then 2 hrs of sleep at night. It has been almost a month since I have been out to my shop so my stress level is off the charts.

My wife's parathyroid problem last spring has caused some calcium gallstones so she will be getting it removed in two weeks. One of the blood tests revealed last Fri. a very serious problem so she will need a liver biopsy also.

So even though I am nowhere near a swamp somehow I am up to my ass in alligators. Also known as overwhelmed.

As soon as I can get out and start cutting I can get the orders shipped. I know alot of you really want the iron and I am very stressed/frustrated that I have not been able to get it processed any faster.

Brent, take care of yourself and your family. That wrought has been around 100 years, a few more wont matter. By then, you'll have the corner on the market! Hope you feel better soon and prayers for a less serious diagnosis for your wife. Wish I was closer as I am out of work currently and I could lend you a hand,,,

JM