Large W2 Fighter

That's really, really beautiful. I like the idea of a hamon as a design element that's kind of independent of function. I'm going to be thinking about this one for a while. Extremely interesting. I always look forward to seeing your blades because you never repeat the same thing.

Man... :blink:

Just when I think I have myself under control from the other stuff, you have to post something like this.

I'm with Walter, the handle is what sets it off. That may be because we've become so accustomed to seeing such astounding hamon from your work that we've almost gotten used to it, but still: the old walrus tusk with the raw tooth-socket end (that's what you meant by "artifact," right?) is the perfect foil. Pure white to set off the funky heat-treatment visuals, but then the big gnarly black end... :huh:

Sometimes something is just right, as it were...and this is.

When you say large you mean it. That is one of the best looking hamons Ive ever seen. Flows perfectly with the blade.

Larry Sharp

Wow! Thanks guys.

Walter, you nailed it. I create the hamon as a design element, I can make a fully functional blade with no hamon. But what fun would that be :) it's all about the hamon for me, I build the knife around it. The walrus I use is just an added bonus :D

Allen, this handle was an ice ax, with a fire starter hole on the facing side. The small end was sharpened but was cut off to create the handle.

My photo doesn't show it all very good, I'll have Coop shoot it at the Guild show next week.

Thanks for the kind words.

Edited by Don Hanson

Don everyone has said it already the whole thing is spectacular and the handle is just special!

Allen, this handle was an ice ax, with a fire starter hole on the facing side. The small end was sharpened but was cut off to create the handle.

haHA! :o (this is to be pronounced like Daffy Duck in the 1940s cartoons...)

I now know exactly what you had. What are you going to do with the rest of the tusk? There's still a couple inches of pointy end, yes?

Remember, I'm an archaeologist, I have to try to see meaning in the left-over bits. ;)

haHA! :o (this is to be pronounced like Daffy Duck in the 1940s cartoons...)

I now know exactly what you had. What are you going to do with the rest of the tusk? There's still a couple inches of pointy end, yes?

Remember, I'm an archaeologist, I have to try to see meaning in the left-over bits. ;)

Oh, I thought you were asking if it was an artifact :wacko: I remember now, you being a bone digger :D

I figured an artifact is something used by 'ancient people' :blink:

Oh, and yea, I save all my left over ivory bits, going to use them one day, for something.

Edited by Don Hanson

Don, I have no idea what to say about this knife... everything about it just works. Normally I'd want to comment on the hamon (I'm with you, btw... the activity in the steel captivates me to where I've now brought the last two 'working' knives to 2000 grit just because of what's present in there!), but everything just... flows. Too cool!

wow... i think it has all been said before... but i would like to ask what the clay on that blade looked like before you HTed it. i love the "flame" look on the blade. again.. wonderful piece.

thanks

~Chris

wow... i think it has all been said before... but i would like to ask what the clay on that blade looked like before you HTed it. i love the "flame" look on the blade. again.. wonderful piece.

thanks

~Chris

Chris, I'm using less clay than ever and heating my blades at the low end of critical. I don't have a photo of the clayed blade, after I clayed this one, I scraped most of the clay off, leaving a pattern roughly following what is seen on this blade.

Edited by Don Hanson

Don,

the next time you clay a blade... could you possibly take a picture? or do you have any of past knives? i dont want to steal your trade secrets... but a lowly beginner would like to know how the real deal is done.

all mine have been rather sedate.

thanks!

~Chris

This is the photo that got me started. Thanks to Mr. Fogg :D

I usually have my forge or oven firing while I'm claying a blade and when the clay is on, it goes right to the fire. I never have a camera ready in the shop but if I can remember, I'll do it next time.

RikBowie3.jpg