How much Kaowool?

boilermaker

G'day all, i was just reading one of the other topics (suggested forge size) and it got me to thinking, how many layers of kaowool IS best. there seems to be so many different ideas it is sometimes confusing trying to work out which is the best way to go? :huh: i'm in the process of building an upright forge ala. donn fogg type, and have been in contact with a maker whose forging DVD i have been watching, and he said that more than 1 layer becomes too inefficient and costly fuel wise, however it seems to make sense that the more insulation the better, maybe it would just take a little longer to heat up? what is everyones opinions/experiances with this?

thanks in advance for your replies.

P.s i live close to sea level (most of OZ eroded into the sea ages ago :D ) so maybe this might have some relevance as well

1" will reflect better then 2" will. I have found that APG #36 reflects heat better then ITC 100 and can withstand higher temps w/o melting. It's also much less expensive.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

1" will reflect better then 2" will. I have found that APG #36 reflects heat better then ITC 100 and can withstand higher temps w/o melting. It's also much less expensive.

Will reflect better, but which is better for a forge? I have found the more kaowool, the better in order to get more heat.

Ed Caffrey covered this on a thread in his forum. I have also found out that 1" is beter then 2-3" on my newest forge I built.

Ed Caffrey's forum

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

I think that you have to look at the total package. I have 3 layers of 1" Inswool covered with a coating of Mizzoue refractory cement in my forge. It has a rather large fire box, around 4X5X18" and I can get it hot enough to weld 1080 cable, but just bearl, with a single venturi burner. Would I get different performance if the Inswool just had a thin coat of Satanite? I have no idea. It was also built in a mailbox instead of a length of schedule 40 pipe. Does the difference in the mass of the body make any difference? Again, no idea. Would the performance be different at 3000' instead of 30' above sea level? Probably, but how much I don't know.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!