After seeing the treadle forge that Randy Skidmore made over on Primal fires and all the posts here about charcoal forges, I had to make a couple new ones too.

The first one is another attempt at a side blast forge. This one is working well so far. The other is a bottom blast similar to the one Randy made. I used the lid to an old smoker grill for the shell. Its not dry yet but I wanted this one for more general work other than blade forging. Also, I used an old grill frame as a work table so the whole thing can be moved around to where I need it. Ill post finished pics when it is dry.

Larry Sharp

forgemaking_036_copy.jpg

bugs_016_copy.jpg

forges_005_copy.jpg

forges_006_copy.jpg

Both are deffinantly looking good. I think that you will fall in love with charcaol forges. It's nice to be able just to heat the section that you want to hammer on and they're great for odd shaped pieces that don't want to fit into an inclosed forge.

Doug Lester

Randy, its just like you said, you can never have too many forges. My sister has a treadle base but she wont part with it, something about antiques being worth money or something. Sounds crazy right. My better half Gerilynn says she may be able to get one.

Archie, check out this link. http://p222.ezboard.com/Tool-Time/fprimalf...picID=908.topic

Thanks for looking.

Larry Sharp

Cool (hot? :lol: ) stuff!

I don't check primalfires often unless you guys post a link, I gotta do the day job and talk to the wife at home and I'm already on forum overload. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, if I had a functional treadle base that'd be the thing to do for sure. We have one that's siezed up, but my wife stuck a slab of marble on it and we use it as an end table. I don't think I can talk her out of it, unfortunately. :lol:

Alan, thats the same thing my sister uses hers for, a table! Only difference is hers still works. As much as I would like to make this one hand (or foot) powered, I think Im going to put a small electric blower with a switch on it.

Larry Sharp