2 new Anvils!

I just brought home 2 chunks of steel that I've had my eye on down at the local scrapyard. 5 x 7 x 29 4140, about 260 lb each.

They are nice and hard, though a bit ringy. A middling hammer stroke leaves no mark, but they do have pretty good rebound. One I'm going to make into a post anvil, the other I'm going to lay on it's side and build a tooling anvil. I'm going to weld square tube receivers around the edges, and build all of my tools to fit them, leaving my main anvil free for forging.

.70 cents a lb, a good day in the scrapyard :excl:

Geoff

Anvil1.jpg

Anvil2.jpg

Edited by Geoff Keyes

Man thats awsome! The scrapyards around me dont seem to have anything like that.

Larry Sharp

Good score! Every time I am down at Floyds Equipment in Tacoma I see so many nice big chunks of steel. Each one I think would make a decent anvil. Thier scrap steel is all .30 a Lbs. They other day I saw a huge crane hook that I thought would be cool to mill a face on it and mount it. It was probably 1500 lbs at least.

With the cost of anvils going up each year pretty soon we can just order a big chunk of 1040 or 4140 and HT ourselves and save a chunk of change.

2 weeks ago i asked about it over here

here is the quote

5 x 5 x 24 4140 is 1,205.00

and thats without tax...

I wish i could get a scrap scoop like that one.... woo woo.... you did real fine there

Greg

Geoff, that is an awesome score man, I have been looking and HOPING for a nice peice of square or rectangle bar that size, for a bladesmithing anvil. My London patterns work great, but i have been searching for peices that size for so long now hehe, I GOTTA GO CALL MY LOCAL SCRAPYARD.

2 weeks ago i asked about it over here

here is the quote

5 x 5 x 24 4140 is 1,205.00

and thats without tax...

I wish i could get a scrap scoop like that one.... woo woo.... you did real fine there

Greg

Greg,

Have someone ship you one.

Ric

Geoff,

Thanks again for turning me on to those blocks - I made a trip up with the pickup last year and snagged a couple. On one block, I cleaned up the sides and flattened and "polished" one end for use as an anvil. 4140 is pretty dang hard even when it hasn't been heat treated. I've only used it a little and just for cold work on soft iron but I haven't left a mark on the anvil yet...

Enjoy!

Dave