Taking the HEAT!

Well, I don't know what it's like in your part of the world but the ol' thermometer is breaking 100 degrees F here in North Florda again today. This is our fourth week in a row with temperatures near 100 or above and man is it driving the utility bills up. We're used to it down here though, I understand some parts of the country are getting temperatures like this but aren't used to it. I have to admit I don't feel much like lighting the forge up or doing finishing work in the un-airconditioned shop either. Any way you look at it, it's friggin hot outside and I'm glad the lawnmower is in the shop!

Guy Thomas

So...you could stick a blade outside to heat it, am i right?

I could stick one outside to quench it at the moment.

I had a strange thought the other day.

If I were locked in a room with a copy of myself, i wouldn't like me very much.

Send some of that our way!! Up here in the Pacific NW we're calling this Augustober <_<

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

Remember what i said about quenching a blade in the torrential rain in my last post in this thread?

There's not a cloud in the sky today, it's bright, it's sunny and it feels like summer <_<

I'm expecting snow tomorrow and gales the day after that.

Bloody weather.

Remember what i said about quenching a blade in the torrential rain in my last post in this thread?

There's not a cloud in the sky today, it's bright, it's sunny and it feels like summer <_<

I'm expecting snow tomorrow and gales the day after that.

Bloody weather.

Well Nick, your weather sounds as changeable as Florida's, only with more options! :lol: Looks like we're on track for a record high for today around 102, thankfully we are cooling down by the weekend with highs only around 95 and next week around 93. Relatively cool by comparison! Kristopher, believe me I'd send some of this to you, how about a trade? We can expect to have temps in the upper 80s and low to mid 90s all the way through October. I'll be glad just to see overnight lows start dropping into the upper sixties.

Guy Thomas

Well, I don't know what it's like in your part of the world but the ol' thermometer is breaking 100 degrees F here in North Florda again today. This is our fourth week in a row with temperatures near 100 or above and man is it driving the utility bills up. We're used to it down here though, I understand some parts of the country are getting temperatures like this but aren't used to it. I have to admit I don't feel much like lighting the forge up or doing finishing work in the un-airconditioned shop either. Any way you look at it, it's friggin hot outside and I'm glad the lawnmower is in the shop!

I live in the high desert of S.Cal. Its 100 or above all summer. My shop is two 10 x 10 metal buildings. Can't hardly go in them all summer. Did I mention that I hate the summers here? The winters are nice. Hardly ever gets below 20F. But the summers average 105 most days. Did I mention that I hate the summers here?

If it helps, cheap, easy sleazy air conditioning can be made using a 2L plastic drinks bottle full of ice, and a fan.

It's a simple solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

If it helps, cheap, easy sleazy air conditioning can be made using a 2L plastic drinks bottle full of ice, and a fan.

It's a simple solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

Spoken like a true Brit! :P That system has about as much effectiveness in the southern USA as an ice cube does cooling down a hot forge. :lol:

Worse, actually, because the melting ice just adds more humidity to the 90% or so that's already floating around in the air. It's currently 95 degrees F /33 degrees C at my house, which should not happen at 2000 feet above sea level. <_< At least the humidity is lower than it usually is and the air is moving, but not so you'd notice. Oh, well, I don't have to mow the lawn either. Just drag a board across it and the grass snaps off into dust. Did I mention it hasn't rained in a few weeks and we're about 14 inches below normal rainfall for the year? :rolleyes:

Alan, It's sunny at the moment with no clouds about but as soon as the rain's back, i'll see if i can send it your way.

You're welcome to it.

The air been so humid here in Virginia, the minute I take the steel out of the forge, it quenches.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

I live about 60 mi south of Kris skelton and I have also wondered where summer went. It's long sleeve flannel shirts for me when I am out in the shop in the evening. But then I do goofy stuff like climb up into the snow where it was 36 with a 20 mph wind blowing.

Hope it cools off for you guys. If i had a giant fan I would blow some of our air towards you.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

It got up to 98º today here in Charleston, SC. I was dripping sweat and I wasn't doing anything more physically demanding than holding a camera up while pushing a button or dragging a pencil across paper. Too damn hot to start a fire. I guess that's a reason we're taking a couple of weeks to work on shop drawings and to study some old ironwork. Damn the heat.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Guy,

use to it ....... yeah right....... my nefew lives in orlando...... he says he gets use to it also........ sounds like rationalizing to me......... I always tease him that he is trapped inside for more of the year than I am up here in vermont....... I can alwys put more clothes on if I want to go outside in the cold........ you guys can never take enough off........ so what is the attaction of florida weather? forging in shorts and flipflops?

BTW it is 55 hear this morn ........put your hand on the srceen.......can you feel it? ha ha ha

dick

It's been hot here and lots of rain the last week or so.

I don't get much blade work done in the summer. I'm always behind on my shoe making (I'm a farrier) so if I do light the forge, I need to make shoes. If I'm not behing on shoes, it means I've already spent too much time in front of the forge sweating.

On the bright side, I actually sell the hand made shoes. LOL

Guy,

use to it ....... yeah right....... my nefew lives in orlando...... he says he gets use to it also........ sounds like rationalizing to me......... I always tease him that he is trapped inside for more of the year than I am up here in vermont....... I can alwys put more clothes on if I want to go outside in the cold........ you guys can never take enough off........ so what is the attaction of florida weather? forging in shorts and flipflops?

BTW it is 55 hear this morn ........put your hand on the srceen.......can you feel it? ha ha ha

dick

:lol: ...used to it, perhaps able to put up with it might be better, or perhaps acclimated to it. It certainly doesn't mean "like it"! I can mow the lawn in 95 to 100 degree weather without worrying about a heat stroke. A friend of mine while he was studying chemistry had a summer internship at a university in Chicago. One day during a heat wave it was about 88-90 degrees out and he waltzed outdoors and across the campus to pick up a few gallons of chemicals and carried them back to the building he worked in. No big deal to him but the people he worked with freaked out saying he might have had a heat stroke! You are right, unless you are willing (or able) to put up with the heat you are stuck inside here a good part of the year. Personally I'd rather be cold any day than too hot. I envy you there in Vermont especially because you have a real Autumn! (and snow too) It might be Fall-like here by Halloween, but kids might be sweating in their costumes just as easily.

Guy Thomas

Ah, that was a pretty good time in the shop.

Not too hot, but still a little.

Went out about uhh... little after midnight I think *laughs*

Just came in at 5:20am =P

Got a fair bit of work done on a blade I've been working on.

Not sure how I feel about the way it's turning out.

It's looking pretty good. But I guess not exactly what I had in mind.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

a even better AC unit is a fan, a sizeable chunk of dry ice with water poured over it, inside a tent.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Sam, they did something similar we we went out for our final Field Training Exercise. All of our opperations were conducted from a FOB (forward opperating base) to simulate how things are when people get deployed. There were heat casualties dropping like flies so they put 4 giant fans inside one tent so people could go inside, walk around and cool down. It was the Max Cool Tent.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Last week there was a frost warning and flurries in the higher elevations. Today it is 87 and they are calling for really fun thunderstorms.

Here in Tucson, I haven't been able to make any steel hot in months! I may be nuts, but I'm not stupid. Temps in the summer are always WAY over 100, and right now we're in the fag end of the monsoon season, with high humidity.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

ooohhh frost warnings <drool> the heat here in ohio (nothing like you guys are having, but kiling me anyway) is cutting my shop time down to mornings and evenings. with no ac I'm passing out under a fan in the afternoon, or going to the dollar theater to suck up their ac for a couple of hours <grin> come ON frost warnings !

Dan