Just completed folder

I don't usually make folders but I just finished this one for a guy who insisted it be a folder. It has a push button lock, the handle is stabilized amboynia and the blade is twisted 1095, 1080 and nickel 200. enjoy!

Greg B

DSCN3885.jpg

DSCN3883.jpg

DSCN3880.jpg

DSCN3875.jpg

WOw Greg, a folder don eby you in your style? That is GODLIKE.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Greg,

Did this start out as one of Darrel Ralph's button release kits? If so did you make the damascus blade yourself? It looks really nice. I'm making one now myself, only I am adding the spring to make it auto. Haven't finished it yet as its still to hot to get out in the shop. The only thing I've found that I don't like so far, and I may be speaking prematurely, is that if I tighten things up so there is no wobble in the blade, then its to tight to open properly. Anyway, yours looks really nice.

Tony G

Thanks for your comments guys. Tony, this did start out as parts from a Darrel Ralph kit which I'm forced to use since I can't mill out precision parts myself. The buyer wanted a push button lock and a "tanto" style tip. For the file work I added a piece of nickel silver, added some shims and reshapedthe handle a little. I know what you mean when you try to tighten things, nothing seems to open right or smoothly. The problem is solved by using plastic or bronze washers. I used soem washers I had laying around (teflon I think) and it opens with no problems.

-Greg

Thanks for your comments guys. Tony, this did start out as parts from a Darrel Ralph kit which I'm forced to use since I can't mill out precision parts myself. The buyer wanted a push button lock and a "tanto" style tip. For the file work I added a piece of nickel silver, added some shims and reshapedthe handle a little. I know what you mean when you try to tighten things, nothing seems to open right or smoothly. The problem is solved by using plastic or bronze washers. I used soem washers I had laying around (teflon I think) and it opens with no problems.

-Greg

Greg,

I've thought of that. The only problem I see is with the coil spring on one side, I can't figure out how to put a washer on that side. Unless I make it a little bigger in the center hole, but then I'm afraid it will move around. I'll probably try it anyway.

Tony G

Greg,

I've thought of that. The only problem I see is with the coil spring on one side, I can't figure out how to put a washer on that side. Unless I make it a little bigger in the center hole, but then I'm afraid it will move around. I'll probably try it anyway.

Tony G

How wide of a washer are you trying to use?

How wide of a washer are you trying to use?

Greg,

I do not yet have the washers. If you look at the original blade from the kit, there is a tiny hole near the pivot hole. This is for the coil spring to fit into. So the washer will have to be a little over sized in the center hole. Just enough to make me worry about it being able to move around. I did order some bronze washers that were for the DR3, but they don't fit over the pivot pin. They are probably for the liner lock model. Any suggestions would be most welcome. This is the first folder I've tried to make. I have a liner lock kit to do next, before I go take the liner lock course at Sierra forge and fire in late October. If I can get this kit to work, I am going to dress it up real nice. I've used pre ban ivory for the scales and plan on inlaying twisted gold wire into it. Thanks again for your help.

Tony

Greg,

I do not yet have the washers. If you look at the original blade from the kit, there is a tiny hole near the pivot hole. This is for the coil spring to fit into. So the washer will have to be a little over sized in the center hole. Just enough to make me worry about it being able to move around. I did order some bronze washers that were for the DR3, but they don't fit over the pivot pin. They are probably for the liner lock model. Any suggestions would be most welcome. This is the first folder I've tried to make. I have a liner lock kit to do next, before I go take the liner lock course at Sierra forge and fire in late October. If I can get this kit to work, I am going to dress it up real nice. I've used pre ban ivory for the scales and plan on inlaying twisted gold wire into it. Thanks again for your help.

Tony

Yup, I saw the hole there but, I did not incorporate it into my blade.