Bowie's Hammer-in Official Announcement

Ron Claiborne, AKA Bowie, asked me to make the formal announcement of his hammer-in over here , so the following is cut and pasted from his announcements at TKN forums:

Bowies hammer -in is going to be held the first week end in Oct here at my place 2918 Ellistown Rd Knoxville Tn.37924.

We will have a great line up ,something for every one From beginners to the advanced makers .

J.S.Bill Wiggins with his new shoes-if he will even wear them ,will be doing a forging to shape demo ,he will show you how to make steel do what you want it to do . he makes it look so easy .

Master smith Bert Foster will show clay harding methods that he uses on his knives to bring out great lines ,using diffrent steels and Heat treating, if you have ever seen his Knives you will understand this great look - hes showing all .

We will also have grinding demo with Alex Daniels , one of the best knife makers in the country,a master Grinder with some of the cleanest grinds you will ever see .

he has been in evey book there is and deservingly so - his methods and knowledge inspire you.

I will be listing more as time get near

M.S. Ken Durum

J.S. James Gibson

J.S. Larry Kemp --- the real Larry Kemp

Sandy Morsey Leather Master

the list will grow as i hear from them.

we invit all to attend no cost

bring the kids and wife its a good time for all

i will post more later

Bowie

Im looking forward to seeing every one and dont forget to bring some work your doing and bring a cutting Competation Knife its lots of fun .

Rade Hawkins will be here selling knife supplies

Darren Ellis will also be here with all his forge supplies.

All vendors are welcome to attend,Tailgate sales encouraged.

Iron in the hat will be held .

Im Realy looking forward having all of you here for three days /learing form some of the best .

Bowie

See also http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43569 and this thread for more information. I just got off the phone with Ron, and he asked if I'd like to demo something. We think it'll be my usual wrapped tomahawk, provided there's enough interest. I'm just humbled he keeps asking me, what with the other talent that shows up! :unsure:

So, come on to Knoxville, it's a great hammerin!

The cutting competition alone is worth seeing, especially with the present demonstrator lineup participating.

Can.

Not.

Wait.

And please, if you're a supplier showing up, bring some 1x42 belts of finer grits please. I'm having a heck of a time finding them.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

You will not be sorry you came. We're driving down from Pensylvania (again), 'cuz it's definitely worth the trip. Learned more in 2 days there than we learned in 2 years by ourselves.

Hope the weather's as good as last year - the ol' tent ain't what it used to be. See you all there...

Randy & Joe Nelson

"Despereaux?"

"Yes...?"

"You didn't cower."

"It looks like a sword."

"It's a CARVING KNIFE!"

"It's BEAUTIFUL..."

"It's DANGEROUS!"

"Do... do you have any more?"

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if we have to pre-register for this? I'd like to go this year since I wasn't able to make it last year.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

No pre-registration needed, just show up and sign in! No admission, just bring something for Iron in the Hat.

Bring a knife for the cutting competition too! 10 inch max blade, 5" max grip, 2" max width, wrist lanyard required. Events will include the 2x4 chop, water bottles, soft drink cans, business cards, and free-hanging 1" rope.

Excellent! I plan on being there! I'll bring the knife I'm working on for my brother, and a coil spring for Iron in the Hat.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Thanks for the link. That's better than Sears, at least, though it'd be great to find some 600 again, or 3M belts in 42 inches. I can go 2 inches wide if need be, but it's a craftsman 42 incher I'm stuck with here.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

What usually goes on the first day? I cant make it till about 5 or 6 Friday night and was curious as to what I might miss. Hopefully not much.

I bought a new tent about a week ago and this will be the first time I use it. Cant wait!

Larry Sharp

When the world ends, I want to be in Kentucky because they are 25 years behind everybody else. Mark Twain

My Webpage

It changes every year. I usually don't get there until lunchtime Friday myself, and one year I got roped into doing my tomahawk demo at 3 pm Friday. Sometimes it's 10 AM Sunday. We won't know the schedule, if there is one, until everybody's there. It's a really laid-back event, like Harley's but a bit bigger and without a smelter running.

The cutting competition and the Iron in the Hat are usually on Saturday afternoon.

The earlier you can arrive the better! There won't be much in the way of official demos going on at 5 or 6 (maybe), but there will be lots of folks talking, showing stuff off, and going to supper.

That's a shame Chris. I would have been cool to meet up with you again.

Bob O

My Website

Unfortunately I will likely not be attending. Cash flow and time are working against making the trek down there.

Wish it weren't so.

Aw, man! :( I was looking forward to seeing you again. Guess me and Stephen will have to smoke twice as much for you. If Stephen is coming... :huh:

Chris, Gerilynn and I will miss you as well. We were looking forward to talking to you again.

When the world ends, I want to be in Kentucky because they are 25 years behind everybody else. Mark Twain

My Webpage

Aw, man! :( I was looking forward to seeing you again. Guess me and Stephen will have to smoke twice as much for you. If Stephen is coming... :huh:

surely you jest good man,

I would not dream of leaving you alone to take up Chris AND my smoking slack, think of the damage that could inflict on your poor lungs.

no, I shall happily arrive to pursue my own smoking duties thank you very much :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

seriously though, i hope to get up there early Fri afternoon

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

Well, that's a tough one, I've never gotten there earlier than about 10 on friday and it's been in full swing by then. :huh:

And Stephan: Don't call me Shirley! :angry::lol: I may even bring some good cigars this time.

Well, we got there about 4 AM Friday & it was pretty quiet...... But seriously, the coffee & donuts were out about 7:30 & they had the forge warmed up by about 8:00....

Lookin' forward to seeing everybody there!

randy

"Despereaux?"

"Yes...?"

"You didn't cower."

"It looks like a sword."

"It's a CARVING KNIFE!"

"It's BEAUTIFUL..."

"It's DANGEROUS!"

"Do... do you have any more?"

Hey guys, what was the order of the various demos that took place each day?

Writing me up a little play by play of everything I did, was listing out the demos and wondering if I'm missing some.

Was gonna keep it for future reference of the trip and probably post it on myspace blog.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods