walters polishing video

wannabeswordsmith

Anyone have any news on When Walter Sorrells may be completing and "for sale" of his polishing video? (can't wait).... and then the forging video... more exciting.

Scott

Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

Hi Scott,

I'm on the home stretch with the polishing video. The thing that made it take so long is that there were three different blades to polish (each one using a different method, each polished in succession), so it's taken me months and months as I've shot various blades in various stages of the various polishes.

Moderately funny aspect of the shooting: in order to give continuity to the shooting, I wear the same shirt in every shot. Over the six months I've been shooting the video, that poor shirt got a lot of wear. (Didn't always smell so fabulous, either! Fortunately this video is not shot in SmellOVision.) Sharp-eyed viewers may notice the shirt fades a little as the video goes on.

Anyway, should be ready in a month or so. I'll send out a note to everybody who bought my hamon video, but I'll also post a note here.

Thanks for the interest!

Walter

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Cool Walter I cannot wait, and thanks for the non smellovision option;).

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Walter, as a general rule I don't buy videos, however your polishing video is one I cant wait to spend money on. Please PM me when you have some copies for sale, I prefer a DVD or even a AVI File.

Walter, cant tell you how glad I am that there is someone who takes the time to make such an instructional video, who you probably taught yourself most of your craft. I can't wait to get it. I don't know if you ever work or communicate with Rick Barrett or Discritafano? I know you work with Jesus Hernadez (who through email is a extremely nice guy), maybe you all could make some type of project together? hmmm..... (wishful thinking).

Anyway, hope the project ends well and heck...I'm sure we will all go toward paying and getting you a new set of the same shirt (was that gramatically correct? ... I forget I am writing to an author here) for the next project as long as you keep them coming.

Scott

Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

WES, go to

www.waltersorrells.com/blades

for cutting awesomeness, and a place to order his DVDs

I had a strange thought the other day.

If I were locked in a room with a copy of myself, i wouldn't like me very much.

WES, go to

www.waltersorrells.com/blades

for cutting awesomeness, and a place to order his DVDs

HEY THANKS! Wes

Thanks for all the interest everybody. The video is finally available.

I've done a full post in the Books, Videos and Other Media section of Don's site (http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8414&pid=75665&st=0entry75665).

The video is basically an attempt to show all the introductory stuff that I wish somebody had pulled together back when I was getting started. It was written with the assumption that you're starting at near ground zero in your knowledge of Japanese blades. I throw a bunch of alternative techniques at you so that you can start on really simple cheap approaches if that's where you are, or you can jump in on more advanced techniques like water stones if you come in with a little more grounding in the craft. There's info on correct geometry, sandpaper, water stones, etching, a little bit about grinding, etc. The only major things I don't touch on are finger stones (hazuya and jizuya) and burnishing (techniques I typically don't use).

Again, I appreciate all the interest.

If you want more info, you can find it at www.waltersorrells.com/blades or shoot me an email at walter@waltersorrells.com.

Edited by Walter Sorrells

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com