Borax bombs

Nick Steele

I've just tried to get hold of some borax to use as a flux, because i'm going to try forge-welding.

I tried 3 shops, and none of them had any. The guy in the third shop told me it was a controlled substance, and that it could be used for manufacturing bombs.

ALL I WANT IS FLUX, and i've checked, and it IS a salt that can interfere with the body's electrolytes, but it doesn't burn, and it's not an oxidising agent.

So my point is; is there anywhere i can get borax at all, or do i need to get a substitute? If i Do need a substitute, what is it and where can i find it?

maybe tools and tool making's not the best place for this, but it's the best i could think of.

Here's the link to the wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

It's now become evident that the...gentleman in question was takling from his posterior region, the bastard. I'm getting some borax tomorrow.

Minor crisis over, thanks for posting everyone.

Edited by Nick Steele

I had a strange thought the other day.

If I were locked in a room with a copy of myself, i wouldn't like me very much.

Borax can't be used to make bombs, that's for sure. :huh: Whatta wanker. <_<

In the USA it's in the laundry detergent aisle at the supermarket. Try asking a chemist (UK version, not USA version ;) ) for some, or for boric acid. Try looking for pottery supply places, anhydrous borax is used in glaze making.

It's not a fuel or an oxidizer. Kelly Cupples carries the anhydrous sodium borate which is the chemical compound in Borax.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

...it's in the laundry detergent aisle at the supermarket. Try asking a chemist (UK version, not USA version ;) ) for some, or for boric acid. Try looking for pottery supply places, anhydrous borax is used in glaze making.

Exactly. It can be found in the UK as a laundry detergent. The potter's supply houses are also good advice. You can make the laundry detergent into anhydrous by simply baking it in the oven, that way it won't foam up when you put it on hot steel (the water has to evaporate).

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

"It's not a fuel or an oxidizer."

that's what i thought, it can't explode. I guess this guy was just trying to cover for the fact that he didn't have any by inventing a story

Check your local grocery stores and get a box of Twenty Mule Team Borax. If you want to make it anhydrous borax, just bake it in the oven for a while to drive off the moisture.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

It is alkali enough that I suppose if you mixed it with an acid in a sealed container it would rupture it.

Hey!..........I try!

You would be surprised at what the Consumer Product Saftey Commission has outlawed or hyper regulated. Pretty soon we won't even be able to use high or low temp salts or most oxidizers. Most powdered metals are allready regulated by the distributors now to one pound per year.

I posted a warning about them over a year ago and since then it has got much worse.

Edited by B Finnigan

chipwit;

it's the declaration of human ****'n rights. :angry:

We have the right not to live in a society full of imaginary risks. <_<

BAH, I choose to waive that right. :ph34r: