The forge build begins!

Started work on a new forge, from the ground up a few weeks ago, i figured instead of keeping with my little forge in a much larger space i should build that big forge I always wanted to have but didn't have the space for. Built the table already, 3 foot by 4 1/2 feet wide and long, and started on the firepot from 3/8ths thick plate. Got most of the firepot built today, tuyere down pipe, clinker breaker/air grate, and ash dump door. It is so nice to be able to have access to all the proper equipment you need to fabricate something, drill presses and all sizes of drill bits, welder, plasma cutter, all the steel you need AT HAND. Now it is liberating to be able to focus on th epeice instead of having to focus so much on how and where you'll get the materials and proper equipment! I'll have som epictures up hopefully tommorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally managed to get some pictures! All that is left is to add a blower/bellows and a chimney and it is time for the first lighting! Firepot was welded from 3/8ths thick plate, tabletop is 1/4 thick plate as is the rim. Firepot is about 9 by 10 inches. Built everything myself! The firepot says SAM SALVATI 2007.

new_forge_1.JPG

new_forge_2.JPG

new_forge_3.JPG

Finally managed to get some pictures! All that is left is to add a blower/bellows and a chimney and it is time for the first lighting! Firepot was welded from 3/8ths thick plate, tabletop is 1/4 thick plate as is the rim. Firepot is about 9 by 10 inches. Built everything myself! The firepot says SAM SALVATI 2007.

Way to go Sam!

Thank you very much guys! Yeah Howard, i finally have a forge made to my own design, i cannot wait to learn it's quircks and perks! Mike, I am going to go with this blower from

www.blacksmithsdepot.com

http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/Templates/.../164_CFM_Blower

They had a bigger one but this will work great! Thanks Mike and Guarnera!

not bad sam!

hope you don't mind a few suggestions?

- hang some weight on the ash-gates lever... if you're blower's any powerful, it needs to be weighted or else you'll most likely loose a lot of air there.

- Why are the sideboards of the work table only "spot-welded"... if you plan on using it for long hours over the years, the heat the table will soak up could lead to weld-cracks there, as spots are not too stable when it comes to stress... at least that was my own experience... I'd at least do inch-long welds with 3 inch spaces or so...

- if you have not already done it, knock down the sharp corners on the work-table's side-plates... you'll thank yourself later on ;) (also from my own experience, on one of my old forges... don't ask.)

daniel

Yeah Daniel, that's why i made it a ring so can hang little artistic jingly things on it:D. Good point about the spot welds, i was gonna leave them incase i needed the 4 inch wide 1/4 thick again for something else hehe, but i am guessing it will be permanent on the forge and get the steel again if need be, so yeah ill put them on REAL solid. GREAT point about the corners, i ran into them already and thankfully didn't open myself up.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I think i will paint it either black with red pinstriping on it, or green with yellow.

• 2 weeks later...

be careful with those new hammers! They are far harder then most hammers you might have used and will beat the hell out of your anvil if someone unknowingly beats them cold on your anvil.

My 55rc Kolswa has a bunch of dents from a 'friend' misusing a quailty hammer...

Looking good!

I'll keep it in mind! Nothing i HATE WITH A PASSION more than some guy i don;t know coming up and banging my hammer on my anvil with no hot steel in between. Please keep that in mind shop visitors:D. I was getting used to a softer hammer working with the Hofi, but these seem much harder, which will be nice so i don;t have to switch out when i use a semi hardened striking end chisel. I make all of my own with soft ends but i have some i have bought that are pretty hard. But i will be more careful, thankfully i have learned a bit more hammer control:D.

Good swag! I don't care for the Swedish pattern hammers myself, but I know I'm odd that way. :rolleyes: I have that same blower on my coal forge, and I have to keep it choked almost completely off! I only use it when getting started and/or when doing a LOT of heavy powerhammer work. Otherwise I use the hand-crank. It'll be a great blower for a short-stack bloomery, though... B) Or a catalan forge. Gots to build one of those someday...

• 1 month later...

WOW, had the forge up and running now. Alan i completely agree, it is either completely choked off or only opn a tiny bit, no more than 1/4 inch though, i have not had to work some 3 or 4 inch round or square yet so there is no need:D. The new forge WORKS GREAT!!!! It is amazing, compared ot the rivet forge which was awesome, this one is a total different world. Been trying my hand at hammer making, got 4 inches of 1 1/2 round 1045 up to yellow in about 5 minutes flat, yet can heat up nice and even 3/8ths square:D. I'll have some pictures up soon:D. Haven't tried forging a sword yet though.

Edited by Sam Salvati