katanas in progress

matt venier

Here are a couple of katana (my first serious attempts) that I'm starting to learn to mount up. Man I thought the blades were going to be hard I'm finding the woodwork to be even harder. :blink: Well enough of my whining here are the specs, both are shinoji zukuri out of 3/4" w2 that I bought from Don Hanson. #1 has a 28.5" blade, 11" tang, 1.25"wide and about an inch of sori, the second one is a little longer 29"blade, 10" tang, 1.30" wide, with a 3.5" O-kissaki and 3/4" sori. Both have been polished with stones up to about 400 grit and what looks like hamons is just polishing/grinding marks( but I test etched them soon after I quenched and the hamons look like they should have a lot going on, praise be to Don Hanson, Walter Sorrels, Jesus Hernandez, Randal Graham and everyone else that has helped me along the way.) I'm trying to get the saya done and painted so that's why the tsuka are a little rougher/nonexistent and the tsuka on the first one looks huge but that's the pictures.

mark1.jpg

mark2.jpg

o_kis1.jpg

o_kis2.jpg

thanks for looking and tell me what you think.

Matt

PS I think O-kissakis are like crack, no matter how big you make them you always want to make them bigger the next time :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by matt venier

Next time, make one with a yokote 1 inch from the habaki! :lol:

I had a strange thought the other day.

If I were locked in a room with a copy of myself, i wouldn't like me very much.

very nice work i like the over all shape of the blade, it looks just fine without a yokote. Not a big fan of them. how long a handle are you making. again nice work.

"One who is samurai must before all things" Keep constantly in mind, by day and by night. the fact that he has to die...

-Dai Doji Yuzon-

16th Century

http://sites.google.com/site/canadianliveblade/home

Hello Neil

The handle on the first one is going to be 15", a little long for my taste but thats what the person I'm making it for wants. The second one with the O-kissaki I'm hopefully going to keep for myself and will get a 13.5-14" tsuka. thanks for looking and I hope in a few weeks I'll have more progress to show.

Matt

PS Nick , I am working on a osuraku tanto which looks like the yokote is 2" from the habaki, should I seek some help? :lol::lol:

Off to a good start it seems. The tsuka is a bit long for traditionalistas, you might hear about that at some point. More pictures when you get farther.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give an update. the first one is done and at some point I'll take some good pictures of it.Mount spec are poplar saya black lacquered with rosewood mouth and end, I took an antique tsuba design laid it out in adobe illustrator and had it waterjet cut then did a flash rust black oxide finish, black rayskin with carved rosewood leaf menuki with a double strand Brian V. style paracord wrap. the fuchi and kashira(which are very nice) are from Fred Lohman.

markd_web.jpg

markdtsuba_web.jpg

markdtsuka_web.jpg

the second one I did a octagonal black laquered shirasaya type thing with buffalo horn accents (I hate to say it but it was influenced by the movie Kill Bill. Should I do some mother of pearl cherry blossom inlays? let the flames begin!!!) But I think in the future I'll do a full mount to it. I'm sorry about the pics I should be getting together with a friend who has a full product photography set up at work and should get some good shots soon!

MY1.jpg

my3.JPG

nihmy.jpg

Sorry about my lame attempt at nihonto style photography and I'll have another katana for you guys to look at shortly!

MATT

Edited by matt venier

Just wanted to give an update. the first one is done and at some point I'll take some good pictures of it.Mount spec are poplar saya black lacquered with rosewood mouth and end, I took an antique tsuba design laid it out in adobe illustrator and had it waterjet cut then did a flash rust black oxide finish, black rayskin with carved rosewood leaf menuki with a double strand Brian V. style paracord wrap. the fuchi and kashira(which are very nice) are from Fred Lohman.

markd_web.jpg

markdtsuba_web.jpg

markdtsuka_web.jpg

the second one I did a octagonal black laquered shirasaya type thing with buffalo horn accents (I hate to say it but it was influenced by the movie Kill Bill. Should I do some mother of pearl cherry blossom inlays? let the flames begin!!!) But I think in the future I'll do a full mount to it. I'm sorry about the pics I should be getting together with a friend who has a full product photography set up at work and should get some good shots soon!

MY1.jpg

my3.JPG

nihmy.jpg

Sorry about my lame attempt at nihonto style photography and I'll have another katana for you guys to look at shortly!

MATT

Cose ups of the hamon please. Oh, and they sure did come out nice.

Damn Matt well done!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Positively awesome.

Brian

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

"The innovator is not an opponent of the old. He is a proponent of the new."

- Lyle E. Schaller

http://home.mchsi.com/~hermits/BrianRVanSp..._Edged_Art.html

A buddy of mine has a complete photography setup for taking product photos at his work I'm trying to weasel my way in ( my buddy is also one of my best customers so I'm hoping I'll get a comission when he see's these) so I hope to have some really good pics in the next couple of weeks.

Hey Brian, It's really good to hear from you.

Matt

Looking great all the way around!

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Those look great. Very nice work.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Matt that Kill Bill one came out very tastefully nice.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Man, the blades, fittings and wrap are very well done on these. It is a longer-than average handle, but it's still harmonious with the overall form. The "Kill Bill" koshirae is also quite excellent.

How'd you do the Japanese -style shot of the blade? I could never get my blades to hover in space like that.

Brian

Brian Chan

Origami

Metalwork

Looks real good, Mat. The handle on the large sword does look a little on the long side but I bet it wouldn't take too much research to find an historical example like it. I did a little messing around with Japanese swords when I took Jujitsu and it seems that the extra lenght in the handle would give more levarage to the cut. One of these days I might get around to making a Japanese sword but for right now I think I'll concentrate on European single edged swords. That's after I learn to make utility knives.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Thanks for all the replies!

Brian, I put the sword on plexiglass with black felt about a foot under it then light the mune with a flourecent light then try to light the hamon with halogen spots from the point and the tang. the only problem is my crappy digital camera hes no manual exposure setting so it sees all the black and uses too long of a shutter speed which causes it to be somewhat out of focus and overexposes the sword. I'm hoping my friend digital SLR will alow me some more adjustability. There is also a TON of photoshop to remove about five BILLION bits of dust on the plexi.

I know the 15.5" tsuka is long but the guy I made it for is 6'5" and his sword style specifies that with his hand in a proper grip the tsuka should come down to the end of his elbow. It feels akward to me but he's a lot bigger than I am

Matt