Bandsaw Blades?

I've got a buddy who has access to used bandsaw blades... these are about 1 1/2 to 2" wide and 1/16 - 1/8 inch thick... he's been making some pretty nice knives out of them... I was wondering what kind of steel it most likely is and the best way to "work" and "heat treat" it....

Here's a pic from him... sorry for the quality... its his camera phone...

Bandsaw_Blade.jpg

Craig there are so many different companies making bandsaw blades for portable sawmills that the only way to know for sure is to get it tested.

All anyone could is guess!

Bob

This is the problem dealing with mystery metal, you'll have to experiment with it to find out how to heat treat it and the like and what works for one band saw blade could be slightly, or substancially, different form the next band saw blade. If you are talking about free steel, it may be worth your time to play with it, but I wouldn't put any money into it. You might look up the data for L6 and use that AS A STARTING POINT.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

I've got a buddy who has access to used bandsaw blades... these are about 1 1/2 to 2" wide and 1/16 - 1/8 inch thick... he's been making some pretty nice knives out of them... I was wondering what kind of steel it most likely is and the best way to "work" and "heat treat" it....

Here's a pic from him... sorry for the quality... its his camera phone...

I have about 30' of Saw Mill Bandsaw blade that looks just like that (That doen't mean it's the same)

Mine tested out to be 1070. I annealed mine. I have made fillet knives from it

They develop a "patina" quickly, but really hold a edge.

Thanks for the replys..... Yup its all free as much as my buddy can haul.... I think I'll get some and fool around with it... Appreciate the thoughts and advice.... :0)

I'm making some damascus from similar bandsaw, and they sparked and worked just like plain carbon steel, around 75-80 point of carbon.

Edited by Giuseppe Maresca

Mourir pour des idées, c'est bien beau mais lesquelles?

An uncle works in waste management, and said he could get mt 1/2 a mile of bandsaw blade at any time.

However, the last time i asked him for something (hardenable steel, obv) he gave me the blade from some sort of stuff-pushing vehicle. It was longer than i am tall, about 1 inch thick in the middle and between 5 and 6 inches across. I killed my angle grinder trying to get it into almost-manageable chunks.

The lesson here? Be careful what you wish for.+

Edited to say: maybe i should have welded on a bit of rebar and sold it as a Cloud sword!

Edited by Nick Steele

I had a strange thought the other day.

If I were locked in a room with a copy of myself, i wouldn't like me very much.

Do you have a photo of that blade? I'm curious... A similar piece can be very useful in a shop. You can made a lot of tools from it.

Do you have a photo of that blade? I'm curious... A similar piece can be very useful in a shop. You can made a lot of tools from it.

Let me know what kind of photo you would like... i'll ask my friend to take some... I told him he should think about selling some to folks who are interested... should be pretty reasonable... I figure he can cut them up and put them into Flat Rate Priority Mail envelopes.... keep the cost way down low for folks who want to play around with them and make some tools and knives.... just let me know... :0)

Let me know what kind of photo you would like... i'll ask my friend to take some... I told him he should think about selling some to folks who are interested... should be pretty reasonable... I figure he can cut them up and put them into Flat Rate Priority Mail envelopes.... keep the cost way down low for folks who want to play around with them and make some tools and knives.... just let me know... :0)

I'm gonna pick some up from him to play around with... he wants 50 cents an inch... plus shipping... so I'll help him out with some extra cash and get a flat rate priority mail envelop full.... I'll let you all know how it goes...... seems reasonable to me but I've go no clue on these things....

I was talking about Nick's huge blade, I was just curious to see it.

I'll ask, but i can't promise anything.

Or are you talking about the big one that he gave me, 'cos that's lying in a few pieces in my garden, waiting to be cut up more. I can get a pic of that anytime.

Edited to say: There's plenty more where that came from, he tells me.

Edited once more to say: I live about 3 minutes away from a woodyard. next time i go there, i'll ask if they've got any scrap bandsaw blades.

Edited by Nick Steele

I'm talking about the big one. If I understand from what kind of tool it come from, I can try to find a similar piece here. I simply can't imagine how do they use a similar blade.

IM000994.JPG

There. That's a 2-litre bottle of bleach that was lying around, thrown in for size comparison.

I think it's the blade for a bulldozer, or similar machine.

Those 2 rusty streaks on the concrete are where the sparks went when is was being cut.

Edited by Nick Steele

Huge!! I have to look around for something similar. There are a lot of heavy forging tools that can be made with a 1 inch thick carbon steel plate, this was a good find for you :) .

Thanks for the photo...

Edited by Giuseppe Maresca

i see a couple guillotine fullers or maybe a nice header plate in that steels future.......

but hey thats just me i am a giant tool junkie.

~~DJ

Edited by DJPratt

There's still the question of getting that SOB down into usable lumps.

I killed my angle grinder (alright, it was only a 4.5 inch one. Come on, i'm 17 FGS. you expect me to have full-scale cutting stuff? rant is now over.)

I think the poor thing was shredded by its own disintegrating innards.

It was the smoke and spray of fire coming out of the side that gave me the clue....

Edited by Nick Steele

ive a similar piece of steel that was given to me a long time ago by a friend at the time.

and it was from his work place - he was a printer.

it was part of the guillotine that they used to cut through books and such that they had printed on the large sheets of paper. apparently it could go through a few inches at a time without any issue.

it was a pretty immense thing .. it also had a label on it that had said that it had been at that workplace for about 15- 20 years .. and had all the dated listed of when it was resharpened.

seems that because the company that makes the guillotine charges so much for the actual blades to be made, that they dont want to replace them very often at all ..

so, ive since been asking around at large printing shops and they all have said the same thing .. "come back in about 10 years and we will talk" ...tehehe

but it could be a starting point.

^_^

edit - oh yeah .. and in regard to that actual bandsaw blades .. i remember when i first started, i saw an article about bandsaw blades being good for damascus ..

so i immediately found a shop that was getting rid of their blade and said i could take it .. :D

i welded it up and etched it in HCl and it came out wonderful .. my first billet and it was perfect .. the bandsaw blade repelled 99% of the etch and it looked great to me .

so with eager enthusiasm i ran back down to the same place and got another blade from them .. did the same trick .. and couldnt see a single shadow of a difference in the blade at all .. the pattern was there, but it certainly didnt jump out at you like the other one did.

so, it really depends when it comes to these bandsaw blades .. there seems to be a huge range of steels that are suitable .. and i wouldnt be at all surprised if the companies are just using whatever is the cheapest at the time to make up the blades.

but its fun to play around with and great for learning on too.

Edited by Dee
deeDWF4.jpg

Bandsaw blades for damascus.....

I've been trying damascus recently, and i've had no luck at all. I've possibly had negative luck.

NEEDZ M0AR HEAT!

For what it's worth. Do not try to put these thin pieces of steel on the outside of your billet! I did and it was a major PITA to grind the halfway welded piece off when it did not weld in the center because everytime I heated it up the pieces flexed upwards and made a huge gap between the rest of the billet. Learn from my mistake and put a thicker piece, 1/8" to 1/4" on the outsides.

That looks like a dozer blade, supposedly they are made from 1050. In any case, should be easier to cut if you heat it up and draw the temper a bit first. I'd use that thing for hardy tools myself, if you have a 1" hardy hole, or smaller, you would be set for a long time.

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

I'm making damascus with this stuff and the thickness is not a great problem, if you soak well in the forge at the beginning, without blowing too much air and putting the billet with the corners in the fire. I do some arc welding on the sides to avoid that the outer layers opens too much when the inside is still cold, and I use to soak the billet in boiling water and borax to flux everything as good as I can. If you flux enaught from the beginning, you can forge weld also th tooths on the body of the billet, with a minimal loss of steel.

If someone here is interested, I can post some pics later.