Sign in to follow this  
Richard Furrer

Half a life

Hello All,

Just realized that I have been smithing for half my life.......................another realization is that I have been with my wife for that long as well (her father is the one who put me on track to blacksmithing).

Some day I hope to be good at blacksmithing and being a Husband/Fatherhood..........still learning about all of it.

Began when I was about 19.

Odd...I would have hoped to have more skills by this time...the craft so long to learn and all.

Ric

Ric,

I was about to add my usual smart a$$ reply and then got to thinking. Damn ... I'm just plain jealous. I too have spent half my life ... attempting to be a blacksmith ... with about 1% of you knowledge. My only consolation is that I can apparently afford a barber better than you! :wacko:

Dan

I was also trying to think of a smart-a$$ reply, but other than the fact that we're the same age I just couldn't justify it. :huh:

You've got about a ten-year lead on me in both smithing and being a husband, and in both I think you're at least 30 years ahead of me in skill, so there. :P Wait another ten years and I'll allow you to have a mid-life crisis, but for now just sit back and enjoy what you've got. You deserve to. B)

That's pretty cool Ric. I think I'm going to reach that point in maybe 4 years (only the blacksmithing though.. still not married). :P

I think a lot of us hope to some day reach your skill level.

It's too bad humans are so short lived.

It makes one wonder what kind of items we'd be producing with 100+ years experience under our belts.

Hey, I guess I hit the halfway point sometime in June, for metalsmithing, that is.

I have thus far successfully managed to avoid marriage! ;)

MANY MORE RIC!!!!!! I hope to know half as much when i am your age. I have only been blacksmithing for 1/4 of my life, and am still lonely:D.

That's pretty cool Ric, but it makes me feel old too. I guess being a few years older than you and first smithing at 22 I still have a few more years to go before smithing for half my life. Funny, though, it seems like yesterday that I was the one with the long hair.

Michael