Tanto Project

shaun

This is my first sword blade project a Tanto in Hira-Zukuri profile. The theme for this blade is a bamboo and I made everything myself except the fuchi, kasira and ito.

The blade is a big one as far as Tanto's go, it has a cutting edge of 300mm and is 5mm thick at the Habaki, the steel I used was a piece of re-bar and, judging by the hamon, had a carbon content similar to that of 1040 - 1050.

I polished the blade using only waterstones and fingerstones. The habaki is made from 2mm copper sheet and has two thin grooves with file marks below and polished above.

The saya has hand painted bamboo poles and leaves running along the length.

The tsuba is 4.5mm thick mild steel with bamboo relief work and copper and brass inlayed leaves and patinated to black in the traditional manner.

Cheers

Shaun

tanto_003.jpg

tanto_finished_002.jpg

tanto_finished_011.jpg

bamboo_tsuba_023.jpg

painted_saya_006.jpg

bamboo_tsuba_022.jpg

bamboo_tsuba_020.jpg

Daniel,

thankyou for your kind comments. The ingredience I used are water, salt ,hydrogen peroxide, a small amount of citric acid and a tea spoon of potassium persulphate. I mixed them together and using an old cooking wok on a BBQ burner to heat the mix. I suspended the tsuba above the solution put on the glass lid and periodicly heated it over 3 days then neutralized the rusting and then immersed it in very hot but not boiling japanese green tea for one hour then waxed it.

Robert,

Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to learning and sharing ideas

Chears

Shaun

Nice job. Looks great. Wouldn't mind a close up of the blade, hamon, etc.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Thanks Walter,

I would like to take some close ups of the blade, hamon etc but I'm afraid I just can't seem to get the lighting right.

Should I take the pic during the day or night, with or without the flash. All the ones I've taken end up all blurry or don't show the affects of the hamon.......can you give me some tips ?

Cheers

Shaun