Spartan Kopis

Blades of Auir

i watched 300 then went and forged this blade out of a 1 1/4 x 1/4 x 18 " piece of O-1. its has a distal taper starting about 6 inches from where the handle ends. the handle also has a distal taper and will have either jatoba or Wenge slabs. it feels good in my hand and just makes u want to chop into everything lol. was just curious as to what you guys think of my design, i know the handle isn't traditional but i like it better.

here is my inspiration for this blade ( other than 300)

kopis.jpg

and here is my blade, and i must add ( sry Rockies fans) GO SOX! lol

DSC02557.jpg

• Like 1

That looks good. I want to see how it turns out. Nice background too, by the way ;)

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

The falcata originated in the Iberian penninsula and has similarities with the kopis in terms of geometry. Scholars thought that the falcata evolved from the Greek kopis but there is quite a bit of controversy about that. Spanish scholars believe that the falcata is a home-grown design. I personally like the shape very much and at the cutting length of most falcata's found this far (about 50-70 cm) is impresses me as a very effective weapon in many respects. The handle of the falcata curves around the hand for a secure grip and take the appearance of a horse or a bird's head.

Enjoy life!

The falcata originated in the Iberian penninsula and has similarities with the kopis in terms of geometry. Scholars thought that the falcata evolved from the Greek kopis but there is quite a bit of controversy about that. Spanish scholars believe that the falcata is a home-grown design. I personally like the shape very much and at the cutting length of most falcata's found this far (about 50-70 cm) is impresses me as a very effective weapon in many respects. The handle of the falcata curves around the hand for a secure grip and take the appearance of a horse or a bird's head.

Thanks for the explanation Jesus.

CIAO

Marco

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

I'm kind of the same mind as you, Jesus. I've read that the kopis came from the Egyptian sword and gave rise to the falcata and the seax. As much as I respect Ewart Oakeshott's scholarship, I think that that's pushing things a little far. Lets face it, there's only so many practicles ways to make swords and knives so it would be real easy for similar designs to evolve independantly of each other.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!