fresh smith's bbq... (well not exactly)

DGentile

roasted bladesmith, without any bbq-sauce at the moment:

bbq-1232.jpg

ok it looks worse than it maybe is... it's healing up nicely (was roasted on saturday and I have been full time at work ever since... so it can not be that bad)...

stinks like shit,... hurts quite funky... and the cussing which accomodated the session of dead tissue removal at my "patented home ER Surgery" was quite jolly good too.

story: this can be caused by a "flying at a fucking high velocity" piece of 02-Tool Steel at roughly 1070°C (1958°F)... the piece was around 1.5" x 1.2" x 2.7" (38mm x 30.5mm x 68mm)... glowing quite close to white heat...

it happens, if your powerhammer has the sudden idea to break the bolts which mount the anvil to it's solid base... it does not fall, but it thus wiggles, the dies tend to be seriously mis-aligned and the hammer pusshes the pieces back towards the operator at full power and an odd angle...

there's also a small burn on my upper torso.. went straight through two layers of cotton...

don't worry... It's patched up and should get better soon.. at least it doesn't hurt much.

So what do we learn from this story: frequently check bolts and other stuff which is under serious pressure and stress for cracks and other shit.

daniel

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

I shall continue to wear a full leather welder's jacket whilst forging, regardless of the weather! Thanks for reminding us of the dangers of powerhammer use.

In the photo below you can just see where some borax hit me below the eye. I was, thankfully, wearing glasses.

borax.jpg

Edited by Bob Geldart

Ouch! :blink: Yowza! :ph34r: Oof! :wacko:

All I did this weekend was collect a bunch of scale-blister burns on the back of my hammer hand. You win! :lol:

Glad it wasn't more serious, we just got you back and don't want to lose you again!

Daniel, Did you go to the hospital and get antibiotics? If not you may consider getting something like Augmentin since your still working. I'm still trying to get healed up after months from the motorcycle crash, most of it would have been avoided if I had not got the wound infected but I learned much from the experience. Staph Infections can be deadly and go from 0 to 100 in a matter of hours.

Power hammers can be dangerous like any power tool. It doesn't look as bad as I am sure it feels, make sure to keep it clean so it doesn't get infected.

Chad

abs journeyman

www.carrollknives.com

Holy Crap! I was just complaining about a few flux burns on my legs...geez looks like I have to stop bitching. OUCh man. That just looks like it hurt a lot.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Silly question, but does this have anything to do with the picture of a pile of junk laying on your shop floor? :ph34r: Very happy that it wasn't worse. Jim Hsiroulas made a statement while discussing tool safety in his Damascus forging video. It was something like: "remember that hand tools injure and power tools maim.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Daniel, i don;t know what yah usually use, but if you can find it, Lavender oil, pour it on (few drops) and rub it lightly all over the burn, you won;t beleive how fast it will heal. I have had PLenty of burns, but few scars with Lavender oil.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

hey,

thanks for all the well-wishings and feedback...

I'm quite skilled (strange isn't it ;) ) at treating burns of all kind... (one wonders how that comes, eh?)

I've patched it up and constantly rub it with a hyalouron-containing cream... it's also a good antiseptic in that mixture...

usually works wonders... yet the burnt area is rather large... so I'm taking extra good care...

if it gets worth then it's off to the real doc... but at the moment it's just "doc dan and his sweet nurse" (read: girlfriend, who doesn't mind a few more scars on my body).

don't worry... even for a smith's standard, I've found that I'm hard to kill B) B)

daniel

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

I shall continue to wear a full leather welder's jacket whilst forging, regardless of the weather! Thanks for reminding us of the dangers of powerhammer use.

In the photo below you can just see where some borax hit me below the eye. I was, thankfully, wearing glasses.

borax.jpg

bob, that's rather nasty... I once managed to burn my left eye-lid as a sparky-thing managed to sneak behind the safety goggles (I'm using a different model these days)...

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

pain heals, chicks dig scars, metal lasts forever ;)

Glad that you've been able to work. Here's to a speedy recovery :beer: (dang, we don't have the beer icon :| )

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

Dad was saying anchovies oil works good on burns... said when he was younger and got burned working at Pizza Hut by the pizza oven, he poured the icky fishy oil on his arm and it didn't scar or anything. *shrugs*

Only real burn scar I can find is on my right forearm, from my first real job, summer landscaping for the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Was lifting edger into back of pickup and reached over it to slide the lawnmower up further, and laid forearm on the muffler of it. Ouchie, skin slid right off, and it really didn't hurt unless sunlight got on it. Kept some stuff on it and it healed up fine, just now have this small barely noticeable scar.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

Dan,

Glad it didn't put you out of commission.

Beau,

I'm not sure the type of oil matters.

My grandfather told a story about when he was working in the factories in the 40’s about how the journeyman smiths would play a trick on the newbies by rolling a red hot rivet in coal dust and get one of the new guys to pick it up. When grandpa got caught in this trick the master smith told him keep his hand closed no matter how much it hurt and put it in the oil quench this way the burnt skin would remain elastic and wouldn’t crack when he opened his hand. He didn’t scar at all and had full use of his hand.

Adlai

Klatu Baratta Necktie!

Macabee Knives

Beau, i know what you mean about the muffler. when i was a kid, me and my dad built a Lotus s7 kit car, and one day i brushed my leg against the exhaust. skin fell off my leg like fat off soup. i swear you could see the flesh boiling underneath as the blisters bloomed...

on another note, periodically Garth Duncan helps me out with some silver smithing, and he told me that when he was a kid, starting out, he was real impatient, and would pick stuff up straight out of the cast. the guy who was teaching him told him to stick his burnt fingers in the flux - it'd sort it right out. needless to say, he got broken of that habit pretty quick.

Oh, and Dan: i ain't never had a sweet nurse - they always just laugh at me.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein