Big knfe with hamon

Wulf

I posted this on another forum last week but wanted to share it with this audience as well.

traveler_front.jpg

traveler_side.jpg

I named this the traveler, as I drew inspiration for this knife from several distant areas on the globe. The clay-induced and polished hamon shows clear Japanese influence, while the blade shape borrows a bit from German hunting swords as well as the Persian fighters popularized by a very talented bladesmith from Oklahoma (hat tip to my friend Brion Tomberlin). The wrought iron ferrule is old American, and the handle is Russian olive. I made the knife here in Vermont and I'll soon be sending it to its new owner in the big melting pot, New York City.

traveler_steel.jpg

The blade is about 13" long, forged 1095. Overall length is about 18" and thanks to the wide tang and wrought iron ferrule, the balance is just about 2" in front of the guard

traveler_handle.jpg

I enjoyed making this one, but as with any journey there were a few bumps along the way. I just need to finish the sheath and then it's on to the next one...

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Wulf

hey that's hot Wulf! Nice active hamon. Handle looks nice and comfortable.

...that Russian olive looks great!

Edited by Monty

Regards,

Mumtaz Baber

Jack of all trades, master of none

I posted this on another forum last week but wanted to share it with this audience as well.

traveler_front.jpg

traveler_side.jpg

I named this the traveler, as I drew inspiration for this knife from several distant areas on the globe. The clay-induced and polished hamon shows clear Japanese influence, while the blade shape borrows a bit from German hunting swords as well as the Persian fighters popularized by a very talented bladesmith from Oklahoma (hat tip to my friend Brion Tomberlin). The wrought iron ferrule is old American, and the handle is Russian olive. I made the knife here in Vermont and I'll soon be sending it to its new owner in the big melting pot, New York City.

traveler_steel.jpg

The blade is about 13" long, forged 1095. Overall length is about 18" and thanks to the wide tang and wrought iron ferrule, the balance is just about 2" in front of the guard

traveler_handle.jpg

I enjoyed making this one, but as with any journey there were a few bumps along the way. I just need to finish the sheath and then it's on to the next one...

Thanks for looking :)

All I can say is WOW !!! Thats some knife. I like it. Is the wrought iron a spacer, or a ferrule ? A spacer is solid with a hole for the tang, and a ferrule is thin sheet that wraps around with the seam joined some how. I ask because if it is a ferrule I'd like to know if you had any trouble making it into thin sheet stock. Did it hold together when you thinned it out, and how thin did you make it? I have something in mind that I would like to roll out some wrought iron for.

A blade with authority. Great workmanship and the figure in the handle wood is awsome. How is the Russian Olivewood to work with.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Yow! That's a crazy hamon! Love it.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

thanks again :)

The Russian olive is stabilized, and it worked pretty much like any stabilized wood and took a nice, smooth finish. I bought several pieces from Alpha Knife supply a while back and I think they may still have some in stock.

Here's another example on a knife I did quite a while ago (one of my first, actually)

Handle.JPG