sword forge in with Don and Jake

owen bush

Owen where in the British Museum are the seax's i was there for 7 hours and only saw a 1/4 of the place its HUGE! i got some great pictures of stuff that i will get posted when i get off my lazy rear.

Thanks

~~DJ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... .... .... ....

Edited by jake cleland

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Owen where in the British Museum are the seax's i was there for 7 hours and only saw a 1/4 of the place its HUGE! i got some great pictures of stuff that i will get posted when i get off my lazy rear.

Thanks

~~DJ

The seaxes are in the iron age britain section ,near the sotton hoo sword .

The event is a building up.

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Ok count me in if there is still room that is! turns out i have a little extra money coming my way and i can afford it now. Drop me a message and we can work out how to get you the money!

Thanks

~~DJ

Ok count me in if there is still room that is! turns out i have a little extra money coming my way and i can afford it now. Drop me a message and we can work out how to get you the money!

Thanks

~~DJ

I am glad you can come along .I am looking forward to it .

all the best Owen

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

I agree with Alan

"lucky Bastards!!!

I hope one of you blokes will have the decenticey to hoist a pint of scrumpy for them of us that cant attend

sounds like a smashing gig!!

Mike

Member:

Cal Knives

Practioner:

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

• 3 weeks later...

Is any one looking for a place to stay for this event if so drop me a pm and i might be able to help out. my school is on spring break and my room mates will be in Europe so i can probably sleep 2 or 3 if needed.

Thanks

~~DJ

• 2 weeks later...

DJ,

If you have a sleeping bag and Mat ,stay at the forge ,most everybody else will .

bye

Owen

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

just booked my flight - I'm really looking forward to this!

Nice one ,bring somthing for the cutting comp !!!

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

Owen,

how are the knife-carry laws at the moment in the UK?

I don't really feel like "donateing" anything to the local authority... :ph34r::ph34r:

btw.. did you get my e-mail?

Daniel, as far as i'm aware the only legal carries are a non-locking folder with a blade less than 3.5", or technically a sgian dubh, but only with a 'legitimate reason', and if the police bother to search you then they may still confiscate either anyway. anything else will definately be confiscated and may well land you in court/prison.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Daniel, as far as i'm aware the only legal carries are a non-locking folder with a blade less than 3.5", or technically a sgian dubh, but only with a 'legitimate reason', and if the police bother to search you then they may still confiscate either anyway. anything else will definately be confiscated and may well land you in court/prison.

damn - that are some tough anit-knife laws ...

how about if I have let me say a locking folder or a camp knife thingy in my backpack??

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

Jake I have carried into Britain knives and daggers over 11 inches long (blade), swords, bows, etc. And never had an eyebrow raised, maybe I was just lucky but in first place I was never bringing anything illegal as far as I am aware. Of course all of it properly packed in a way that would make it obvious that I could not peruse the items unless a lot of unpacking and tape cutting took place.

Regards

P.s Make plenty of photos folks.

Grey hair and alopecia are signs of age, not of wisdom...

Rósta að, maðr!

Jake I have carried into Britain knives and daggers over 11 inches long (blade), swords, bows, etc. And never had an eyebrow raised, maybe I was just lucky but in first place I was never bringing anything illegal as far as I am aware. Of course all of it properly packed in a way that would make it obvious that I could not peruse the items unless a lot of unpacking and tape cutting took place.

Regards

P.s Make plenty of photos folks.

Daniel ,

I have traveled with swords throut the uk ,to london and back and through it on the tube .You can still buy and there fore carry from the place of purchase knives and swords .

it is possable that in a worst case scenario the police could get arsy .I took a sword by train to the british museum last week .

I would parcel wrap and tape the hell out of it and pack it deep in your bags ,you have legitimate reason to be bringing a blade to a gathering of bladesmiths (which is still a legal undertaking) .

I have never had any trouble and recon that as long as you made any knife un get at able you would be fine .we live in an odd country but it wouldn't bother me .

Dont take this as legal advice I might be wrong ,it wouldnt bother me .

no one in the UK would think twice about coming to this forge in with blades in there car ,your car is legaly the same as your carryingon your person .

Edited by owen bush

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

As Owen said.

My latest adventure was bringing a bunch of steel and other assorted cutlery that left Owen's workshop in the shape of a sword and I actually got more hassle back in a third world country than in the U.K.

Packed properly and deep in your suit case will do it no harm and if the piece can be taken apart with no ill effect then even better. Don't mention cutting competitions, you are just attending a gathering of blacksmiths and you are bringing your piece for study. Always works as an excuse with me especially since I carry the tongs and hammer in the suitcase just in case (have even carried your burner in it Daniel!).

Hey Owen I sent you an e-mail earlier on, hope you received it no probs, if not let me know and will send again.

Grey hair and alopecia are signs of age, not of wisdom...

Rósta að, maðr!

I sure wish I could be there Guys. Can't be in two places at one time tho, dammit.

It would have been fabulous to meet you at Owen´s Howard!

I think this event will be brilliant, but you would have added great things to the mix.

Well,

Jake and Don arived on friday and Peter on sat ,weve been Having a great time and as Ileft today the sword course seemed to be speeding to an end and there Were 3 post Ht W2 sword blades (more going into the water as I write i am sure)

the forge in starts proper tomorow ,Its all been a great meeting of peoples and the hammer in is still to come .

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

A great event with demonstrations on polishing and HT by Don, Jake Powning told us how he made one of his swords and its furniture and fittings, Peter Johnsson talked about the cataloging of historic swords and also about sword harmonics, Hector Cole gave a talk on the construction of Saxon swords and also gave a demonstration on welding a seax in a coal fire. Owen showed us how to weld a billet to the edge of a billet in a viking stylee. On Friday we visited a few museums in London, the V&A, The Wallace Collection and the British Museum. Quite a busy weekend.

Edited by Bob Geldart

WOW sounds like an awesome time!!!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots