SAR Blade

Three Sisters Forge

This a prototype for a survival blade. I am following their specs. This is 18"OL, 12" blade. There are 4 holes to assist in pulling line, from para-cord to 11mm climbing rope. I just got this back to make modifications and field tested it myself (woodpile). They needed a digging, cutting, chopping, stabbing piece that fit in a certain size container. Just wanted to share. They will be moving to limited production with a Kydex/Nylon sheath. These will go to instructors at first. If they become available a few may be available to the public.

DSC_0060.JPGDSC_0059.JPG

Jim Allen

Three Sisters Forge

Bend, Oregon

http://www.threesistersforge.com

When you say, "pulling line", how does that relate to survival? And why the chisel tip?

By placing the line throught the holes you can use the knife to pull line tight. Tough to do with gloves or wet hands.

Chisel Tip: I was given an exisitng knife to enlarge (Tanto shape). The chisel edge works very well with this field use.

Jim Allen

Three Sisters Forge

Bend, Oregon

Interesting concept. It sort of looks like a cross between a seax and a tanto. How is the grind done? I can't tell how the bevels are from the pic. How thick is the blade?

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Interesting concept. It sort of looks like a cross between a seax and a tanto. How is the grind done? I can't tell how the bevels are from the pic. How thick is the blade?

Doug Lester

440C, 1/8 " thick. About 2" at it's widest. The handle can support two hands. The next one will have 1/4" micarta with a double cord wrap. The grind is chisle, flat back. I was not sure about this grind until I used it as intended. I wouldn't want to skin a squirrel with it, but boy does it split wood and cut branches for a shelter, and digs and trenches. Nice feel in the hand if you need to "defend" one's person. I was able to dig in some angled Claymore Mines in no time at all. Just wait till that stupid cocker spaniel next door wanders over here again.

Jim Allen

Three Sisters Forge

Bend, Oregon

The chisel edge works very well with this field use.

Yeah but what happenes when you wear the whole egd eout from resharpening? Regrind the whole hollow edge then reheat treat and remount?> Looks like a 1-year-of-hard-use knife to me before that edge is gone. NO OFFENSE, i am just wondering what you could you do with the knife when the little edge wears out.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

What I think we have here, gentlemen, is a short, chisel-ground machette, with a chisel point to match. I say machette because with the thickness of the steel coupled with a stout, steep bevel it should handle and cut very much like one.

I remember the proto-type of this proto-type, and I really like the changes you've made, the choil in particular. The laynard hole is a good idea too. The grind reminds me of my wood-carving chisels. I'd still prefer a conventional double-bevel but understand that this is what your client requested, and I'm glad she cuts good.

Are you still considering changing the type of steel? If it has to be stainless, 440c is a good choice for this type of knife. I'd still like to see her in black-oxided L6, though...

Edited by GEzell

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

I don't think you give steel enough credit same the edge isn't going to wear out any time soon. This knife isn't ment to be razor sharp and veristal it has a very specific use and should be more than capable of doing that job. The design is starting to grow on me especially now that I understand it purpose.

Jim,

The only thing I would change is to bring that bevel back a little bit farther I think it's a bit short and that you will get better performance out of it that way. Very cool knife. Can't wait to see how it eveolves.

Adlai

Klatu Baratta Necktie!

Macabee Knives

Yeah but what happenes when you wear the whole egd eout from resharpening? Regrind the whole hollow edge then reheat treat and remount?> Looks like a 1-year-of-hard-use knife to me before that edge is gone. NO OFFENSE, i am just wondering what you could you do with the knife when the little edge wears out.

The edge is not hollow ground, it is what I have heard called a "Performance Grind" by Ed Fowler. It is convex, I do it on a slack belt.

I don't know what metal they will choose, storage and corosion are issues.

This had to be a tool and a weapon. I am learning a lot about military uses and what they need a tool to do. Their idea of survival is different from mine. They expect the person in the field to have at least one other knife on them. I am making one for myself. It will go next to the wood pile and be hauled out when we go camping. When I go into the field I carry a folder or a small sheath knife (3"). Don't need the weight. I loaned this to a buddy that hunts elk on horseback, has a 8000 acre rance. He wants two right now. For chopping up an elk and getting firewood and making a sled to haul out he said it worked fantastic. He used one of my 4" cable hunters and this SAR tool.

Enjoy the exchange.

Jim Allen

Three Sisters Forge

Bend, Oregon

That is one sweet function=form kind of knife. basic, utilitarian, and big enough to do the job the first time. With this as the bigger half of a 2 knife carry set, all the heavy jobs would be taken care of for sure. While corrosions and storage will give the 440 a win for steel, that thing would be a beast in L6 <grin>

Congrats again !

Dan

That is one sweet function=form kind of knife. basic, utilitarian, and big enough to do the job the first time. With this as the bigger half of a 2 knife carry set, all the heavy jobs would be taken care of for sure. While corrosions and storage will give the 440 a win for steel, that thing would be a beast in L6 <grin>

Congrats again !

Dan

The proof is in the pudding. Thank you, and you are correct. I usually don't work in stainless, I prefer to forge, cable is my favorite. Did this as a favorite for the military and SAR. This TOOL gets the specified JOB done.

Sheath- Any suggestions on design?? Talked to my leather guy and one kydex maker, but I'm new to this. I am making one for my self, some personal changes and it will have a pakka wood sheath.

Jim Allen

Three Sisters Forge

Bend, Oregon

• 2 weeks later...