That looks like a good place for a power hammer...

Mike Lambiase

Theoretically they should be in balance, as that is the function of a counterweight. Too heavy and it'll tear the hammer apart. The tire hammers I've seen don't even have counterweights beyond the gusset plates on the wheel.

That said, every mechanical hammer I've ever seen (without an added brake) comes to rest with the ram in the bottom dead center position. Must be a reason for that, but I don't know exactly what it is.

The gusset plate I'm talking about on a tire hammer is the flat plate of steel that gets welded over the face of the wheel. Sometimes the crank pin is connected to this plate, sometimes it's part of the bolt circle. Does that make sense? If not, do a google image search for tire hammer and you'll see what I mean.

Ok, I see what you are talking about.

I flipped the tire around, so the hollow side is facing the back.

I put my crank pin through the front side, and welded a reinforcement bar to the axle and the inside wall of the tire that the pin connected to.

I also threw some of my counter weight in there.

I have, on the other end of the axle, the majority of my counter weight welded onto the shaft itself, offset to one side of course.

I welded the axle to the outside face of the tire and (because of ignorance) omitted the gusset plate.

I guess I will cut off all my counter weight on the back of the shaft, and add more to the inside of the tire.

I was getting leery of that large brick of steel swinging at that speed back there anyways, with all of its sharp corners and what not...

Mike Lambiase

Mike Lambiase

Burning Man Forge